Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small quilting set up with Gracie table? >

Small quilting set up with Gracie table?

Small quilting set up with Gracie table?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 AM

I dont have room for a long arm but want the same set up only smaller.
My local shop will sell me one for $1500. with an Elna machine. It also has a stitch regulator that goes with the Gracie table.
Will only do lap size.
I searched the web and found a Juki set up for $1800.
You can also use a BrotherPQ1500s, Viking Mega quilter.
Do any of you have a set up like this and how do you like it?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM

I bought the gracie small frame from my LQS for 400 and then I got the mega quilter from a different store. I got it to practice on and see if I liked doing it.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg
I bought the gracie small frame from my LQS for 400 and then I got the mega quilter from a different store. I got it to practice on and see if I liked doing it.
Is the small frame the one they call the "Start Right" frame?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM

The only difference on the web site is that I have an extra shelf on the bottom; mine also came with the stitch requlator and a couple of pantograms. To be honest I haven't hardle used it. I'm getting things set up now so that within the next couple of weeks I'll be able to practice. It's a good sturdy frame. If I had the money (I'd make the space) I'd get the combo they have now for 1400 50%off.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

I bought the grace start right frame and juki combo last month. It's my first frame and I love that it's steel and very strudy. It will quilt upto a queen size quilt. It was $1699 and the stitch regulator is separate for $499. I love it. My avatar is the first quilt I did on the frame.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

The start right comes in crib size or queen which is 8 or 9 feet. Thats the one I have.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by romanojg
Is the small frame the one they call the "Start Right" frame?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Make sure you understand what the actual QUILTILNG dimensions are on the frame. You loose maybe 5-6 inches on each side, 10-12 inches overall because the sled that the sewing machine sits on takes up space. I considered a smaller frame, but was surprized at how little quilting room there was. You could do a lap quilt if you had a very small lap! You could, however, quilt in sections and join them on your regular machine. Good luck!!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 AM

It is so complicated, each machine needs a different stitch regulator and it can only be used on the Gracie.
Some tables can be extended up to a king size, thats a good idea for later if I ever have the room for it.
The shop that has the setup is in the process of moving so cant see it till next Tues.
So many details to find out.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 AM

I have the Brother 1500s on a Gracie II frame. My room is 8' X 15'. The frame takes up most of the room, and when not in use, it is pushed against the wall. It is 102" X 43" max. and can be reduced to 68"-crib size. The widest quilt I have done without the side clamps being in the way, was appx 85". Any wider, I need to release the clamp and hold with my hand or do the sides by turning the entire quilt and do the side border 1/2 at a time. This frame will hold a machine with up to a 16" throat. - I also got the stitch regulator. It was ordered by the Gracie comp, to fit my machine. That was appx 500.00.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Debby, thats the way I want to go. Will have to set it up in my living room but being single that is not a problem.