Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small sturdy table for domestic sewing machine >

small sturdy table for domestic sewing machine

small sturdy table for domestic sewing machine

Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Arrow makes a nice portable sewing table. I have one for my Bernina. It's very heavy. I like it because I can use the extension table that goes with my machine an be flush with the table. It's adjustable in height for the machine. I noticed the machine will vibrate if I go full speed but the table doesn't wobble.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 AM

Thank you everyone for responding! It will give me more places to go to find the right table that I need! It's wonderful that you can ask for help and so many of you are willing to take the time to respond!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 AM

An old cabinet from the Salvation Army Store. Ours often has them because people want the vintage heads and leave the cabinet. You can use it closed - a little high, IMO, or open and build something inside to hold your machine flush with the top. I have done this twice.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:35 PM

Years ago I bought a Lifetime table approximately that size and it has three choices for height. It folds up nicely. I use it for sew-ins - when a friend comes over or I go to her house. It also serves to hold the overflow material from my sewing machine [in a cabinet] so the weight doesn't drag the material to the floor. I got mine at a big box office supply store. I now have two. One costs $14 on sale the other about $20.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 AM

My sewing room is so small that I use the wooden TV Trays that are $8.97 at WalMart. I am able to have two sewing machines set up and a third one between the two for trimming/pressing. I even have one in my van that I used for my machine at a retreat when my tablemate's machine created so much bounce and vibration in the table that I was unable to use it.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 AM

I have the Sauder cabinet shown above by Dunster. I love it!. My machine does not fit into a well like a regular table, so I can move it and have work space in front of it. I have lots of storage on the door, which I leave open, and behind that door, there is more storage. I put my binders of quilt patterns on the shelf below the sewing machine and have more storage behind the door to the right. It is sturdy and I would not trade it for a more expensive table.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:08 AM
Suz

My secondary machine is also on an old typing table like one poster above mentioned. (Actually, I found it at the curb and think I gave the owners $5 for it.) It has a shelf below the table top for scissors, books, etc; two side leafs and is on wheels. Try the office supply store or even a second hand or consignment store. Or one of those rent-to-own places that specializes in office furniture rentals.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Watch Craigslist for used office furniture. In my area it can be bought pretty cheap, and most of it is sturdy. Most tables are 30" high, but a wood worker can shorten a wood table or a welder can shorten a table with metal legs. I had DH shorten a couple of folding tables using his angle grinder.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:08 AM

2 of the best small tables I have are old school desks. They are flat and have a wire attachment on the end (I assume for a binder or books). a small elephant could dance on them without worry! Check google for surplus school furniture or stop by your local school district offices and inquire about old stored items. I have purchased items or received items in exchange for donations to the children's development center.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 AM

HOA33. Made by HORN maybe just what you are looking for. It is portable or you can leave it up. It is a very heavy and a sturdy table. It has a swing up table on top that matches up with your machine. When the swing portion is down it makes a nice flat table. I have a 24 lb Janome 6600 and an Ovation serger...this table is perfect. When done, I slide it under the bed. Sew vac has it for $199 TODAY..there is one with wheels for $50 more....I found the one without wheels works just fine. Best wishes
Diana