Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snap Bag >

Snap Bag

Snap Bag

Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Is the problem just closing....the "snap" back? If that is the only thing wrong, did you put the tape in the right direction? If you put it in the wrong way, it won't close.
Yes the tape is in there correctly. Its just to thick to sew closed as my machine has a hard time sewing it closed and then when
I did get it sewed closed the tape still didn't close like it was suppose to but now I have 2 pieces of the tape in it.
I know that it doesn't look to nice when you have your edges showing but I may go back to the way I had it without the lining. Oh I don't know what to do.
Here is the link that I got my pattern from:
tatteredgarden.snappybag.com
Hope someone here can help me figure out what I am doing right/wrong. I really would like to make these for gifts this year.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:19 AM

My seams are exposed, i did a satin stitch to cover them.
why would someone point that out to you?

i think it is very cute and you did a good job!

i also used fusable fleece inside, and i just didn't go all the way to the ends with it..so it wasn't too thick where i was to sew it up. it has a lining..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106640.jpe   attachment-106641.jpe   attachment-106642.jpe  
Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by np3
Is the problem just closing....the "snap" back? If that is the only thing wrong, did you put the tape in the right direction? If you put it in the wrong way, it won't close.
Yes the tape is in there correctly. Its just to thick to sew closed as my machine has a hard time sewing it closed and then when
I did get it sewed closed the tape still didn't close like it was suppose to but now I have 2 pieces of the tape in it.
I know that it doesn't look to nice when you have your edges showing but I may go back to the way I had it without the lining. Oh I don't know what to do.
Hope someone here can help me figure out what I am doing right/wrong. I really would like to make these for gifts this year.
I think you should go back to the way you had it in the first place. If the seams aren't fraying it doesn't make any difference. If it is fraying, then use an overlock stitch of some kind on the edges. I have done the bags and several totes both ways. It isn't going to show when you carry it and only you will see the inside when you open it.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 AM

I have made some of the small bags and I agree with watterstide about finishing the seams with overlock or such to avoid the bulk at the top.
LOVE the fabric you used watterstide for your bag also the loop is a great feature.
Jan
Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide

i also used fusable fleece inside, and i just didn't go all the way to the ends with it..so it wasn't too thick where i was to sew it up. it has a lining..
Since you used fusible fleece did you quilt it? What pattern do you have that the top of your bag is the same as the lining? And since your seams are showing you did turn your fabric right?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by np3
I think you should go back to the way you had it in the first place. If the seams aren't fraying it doesn't make any difference. If it is fraying, then use an overlock stitch of some kind on the edges. I have done the bags and several totes both ways. It isn't going to show when you carry it and only you will see the inside when you open it.
Thank you I like the first one too. I just wanted to put the lining it. I guess if I don't quilt and maybe use something fussible and thin then maybe i would be able to add the lining too.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide

You know I just looked at your link for your projects and seen how you did your bags. So I have my answers now. I seen that you added batting and didn't fmq. I seen how you over lapped the lining to the outside.
1) The first one I did right.
2) The second one I wanted to keep it the way it was and added lining. I had the outer fabric, batting and the back fabric(or lining) but free motioned so I thought that I still needed to add another piece of fabric to have a lining so that the seams then wouldn't show.
3). Now do you think I will still have this prolem if I try to put the vinyl plastic (clear plastic)in it?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 PM

took me a while to find the pictures i took of it..
no quilting of the fabric at all. no need to. i think it is either the small or medium sized one. haven't made the large one yet.

i have never worked with the clear plastic in a project..but you let me know how that goes will ya?! lol
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107046.jpe   attachment-107047.jpe   attachment-107048.jpe  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM

and the finished project.
i use it for my kodak camera i keep in my purse.

someone here made really big, purse size ones with her kids..sorry. i can't remember who it was...they were awesome!

i get the tape measure from the dollar store..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107049.jpe  
Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Thank you for posting your pictures. About how wide is the band at the top of your bags? Yours look quick and easy to. Well they all are. Like I said before on here I think. Things that are so easy to make I seem to have or make things more complicated for myself and takes forever to make.