Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So many questions...where do I start?? >

So many questions...where do I start??

So many questions...where do I start??

Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM

There are quite a few online quilt/fabric sites, these are a couple that I've used in the past and was very impressed with their price and quality of their fabrics, and also their service, these are Thousands of Bolts and Jhittle. The other places that can be great finds are yard sales, thrift stores, etc. The rotary cutter does take a little practice, but personally, I find that the 45mm cutter is a whole lot easier for me, plus, I can get the blades a whole lot cheaper than the 60 mm. I also want to welcome you to the wonderful world of quilting.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Welcome to the board! The others have given you good advice, I don't really have much to add. Ask all the questions you want, chances are someone else is wondering the same thing and doesn't want to ask
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 PM

I happen to like muslin, or flannel fabrics in my quilts. I also use sheets for backing. I also use cheap high loft synthetic batting. This makes my quilts soft and fluffy. shop church rummage sales for fabric and sheets or shirts or skirts for fabric. Enjoy it is a world of fun.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 PM

my mother would use old drapes for quilt backs. she used denim cut from the back of the legs of ragged jeans also. she would use the denim for backing or for fronts depending on who the quilt was for. I buy fabric at rummage sales, thrift shops,goodwill,walmart,Joannes,Hancocks and Mill Ends. I save all my scraps and put them to use in scrap quilt tops for my church group. I check out remnant bins is the various fabric stores I go to. You would be surprised how many times you can find the just right piece needed to give a quilt some pizazz. one cute quilt I made was from five remnants I picked up for a quarter a piece from Mill Ends. They were the end of bolt strips of 4 blocks of Asian girls in various colored clothing. I cut 20 squares from these strips, framed them with solid strips and alternated with plain blocks cut from another remnant. total price of twin size quilt top was less than $5.00. happy fabric hunting and quilting.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Welcome!

I found the rotary cutter challenging when I started as well. Check out the cutting mat you are using. Some of them are more like hard plastic and some are the softer self healing mats. I started on a hard plastic one and I found it felt like the cutter would sometimes almost slide out from under my hand when I used it. I like the softer ones much better, like the Olfa mat one of the ladies suggested.

Not sure where you live, but there is a great store called Marshall's Dry Goods in Batesville, AR that has Great prices on fabric. Mostly, just enjoy the journey. A quilt out of the heavy fabric might be the perfect thing for trips to the park. Or, how about a quilted dog bed? I made one with the fabric from an ugly fabric exchange--it turned out really cool! But, some of the fabrics didn't hold up so good.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 AM

Good place for scrap fabrics of all kinds is shopgoodwill.com they ususally sell pounds and some are already cut. Also keepsake quilting has scrap bags. Check also with LQS some will sell scraps by the bag. Good luck and hunting.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Just a note about Olfa rotary cutter. I was at Walmart one day and say Fiskars blades for about $4 and thought I would try them on my Olfa rotary cutter. So far it is working and saved myself a bundle!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM

If you have a Tuesday Mornings in your area...They also sell Fabric bundles at a great price. A lot of people on a fixed budget also shop Goodwill, Nearly New for fabrics/clothes. There are also people on the board who are all the time giving away fabric for free or the cost of shipping. (check in Items for Sale or Trade...or in Free offers and Donations) You could also post for a little help. This board is so generous and supportive to fellow quilters.

You might want to check out Liberated quilting or Mordern quilting styles. They are now so precise on their cutting techniques. If you want to quilt traditional....It is super important to be precise on cutting. So practice and have fun quilting. There is beauty in every quilt.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Welcome....you are in the right blog. The quilters here are congenial and very sharing of information. I think that the fabric you have purchased is called 'Bark Cloth'. It is a fabric used in the '50's. I think that it would make a good picnic or beach blanket. Add some bright colors to it. I do a lot of shopping in goodwill stores for fabric.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 AM

I think you will enjoy the rotary cutter when you practise with it a little it is such an improvement over the scissors my mom and Aunt used a generation ago. I have found fabric from Fabric. com and from other sites on innernet to be very reasonable. I have made lots of two color quilts like the winner circle pattern and the six yard bolts are just right they run specials and you can sometimes find a quilting partner to share a large order and have lot of fabric to choose from. I have also bought lots of fabric at yard sales, Quilting has been such a love since I took it up and everyone seems to enjoy the results they are well used and appreciated. Have a great adventure.