Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: So once you pre-wash your fabric.. how do you get it to be stiff again for cutting?

Blog Entries
    Gosh, I haven't thought about sprinkling and refrigerating clothes for years. That's what my grandmother used to do and that was when there was no such thing a permanent press. I just thought it was because she had sprinkled all the clothes and simply ran out of time for ironing everything.

Blog Entries
    Starch, starch and more starch. I like the way Leah Day does it. Spray one side, let it sit to soak in and then iron the other side. Then repeat by spraying that side, let it soak in and iron the other side. I find I don't scorch the starch this way and it doesn't get flaky.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katmom View Post
    Thanks for the link! Is it safe to assume you still need to press the damp fabric with the up and down method and not side to side ? Thanks for your help!
    I tend to iron the fabric using the up and down method, but I'm not sure that you have to. Cheers :-)

Honestly, unless you are cutting small pieces of fabric, you just cut. There is no need for starch or anything else. You are simply used to the habit of having that stiffness. Most quilters cut without starching first.

For small pieces, yes, I like to use starch (I'm trying out Mary Ellen's clear non-starch this week).

Yes, I'm one of those who doesn't prewash fabrics. Mostly out of laziness. I just don't feel compelled to do so unless I'm doing a swap or using white as a background fabric.

Note to poster: If I were making products for sale, I would prewash and starch.
    Current piecing: Zig Zag quilt & LOTL (HSTs done, assembling units)
    Hand piecing project: Apple core (TOP IS DONE!!!! Yay!)

What do you do with the fabric after you have put it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator? do you do a yard at a time or a piece at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by suemolitor View Post
    What do you do with the fabric after you have put it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator? do you do a yard at a time or a piece at a time?
    I starch whatever I think I'll need for a particular project. I usually don't bother with anything smaller than a fat quarter. I just spray starch smaller pieces, often multiple times.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4