Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So...when do you call yourself a "Quilter"?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am a quilter. I figure if I have over 30 tops waiting to be quilted and 10-12 UFO's, and donate quilts to Project Linus monthly, I am a quilter. I go to quilt retreats to finsih UFO's undisturbed (except for the fun) and don't miss a day without quilting in my life or buying fabric weekly. So many definitions of a quilter.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    @ cjomomma ~ thanks for starting my day with a giggle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    @ glenda5253 ~ I'm glad you put this out there. In my Mind I think of myself as a quilter - but I can't say that out loud to anyone. Not as skilled as most here, I'm just now returning to it after a 2 & 1/2-year break (life happens, sometimes). I've completed about 20 quilts in my illustrious career (lol...), and still... referring to myself as a Quilter... haven't been able to do that. So, I've enjoyed reading everyone's definitions - I've always wanted to be a quilter, and now maybe I can say I am. maybe. heh-heh...

Blog Entries
    It's really not that hard to put the quilts together, the binding and batting. I just started and only have done two. there are so many video out there that can help you do it. I have a few on my website that I used to learn. If I can do this anyone can. Here is my site thrifyideastoday.com if you want to view the videos. If you do not have a walking foot you may just want to use the thick thread to bind them by needle (I will get you the name of the thread later today)
    Quote Originally Posted by glenda5253
    I have just been reading the thread on bad habits of quilters and it got me to thinking.

I love fabrics, notions, patterns, everything related to quilting. My mom was a life-long quilter and in the past few years I have had a 'longing' to be a quilter.

I've made three quilt tops and have quilt fabric, kits, patterns out the wazoo(sp?) but I've never thought of myself as a quilter because I haven't completed a quilt. I am scared to death to make that sandwich and start quilting - either machine or hand.

So...can I call myself a quilter or am I just a wanna-be chicken?

I'm more a cut-up and piece maker! My fingers and shoulder will not allow me to do much hand stitching, but I'd be clumbsy if I did. SO I machine everything possible, limitedly. But I think of myself as a quilter.

Blessings, Ruth

Blog Entries
    Some people machine stitch the binder on. Stitch in the ditch. I may try that on my next quilt.

Gee, I was in a fabric store yesterday, and a lady asked me if I was a quilter? I hestitated, then said "yes"! I had to think about it, am I a quilter I asked myself? I am not your traditional quilter, I have machine quilted about 8 lapquilts, one full size, about as many baby quilts. Along with a few table runners and more in progress! I have two lap quilts waiting to be finished, and just started on another full size quilt. I love scrappies and like to do my own thing with designs. I have managed to collect a sewing room full of fabric, tools and etc. I also like to sew projects for babies and other sewing things. Gee, guess that makes me some kind of quilter after all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    Gee, I was in a fabric store yesterday, and a lady asked me if I was a quilter? I hestitated, then said "yes"! I had to think about it, am I a quilter I asked myself? I am not your traditional quilter, I have machine quilted about 8 lapquilts, one full size, about as many baby quilts. Along with a few table runners and more in progress! I have two lap quilts waiting to be finished, and just started on another full size quilt. I love scrappies and like to do my own thing with designs. I have managed to collect a sewing room full of fabric, tools and etc. I also like to sew projects for babies and other sewing things. Gee, guess that makes me some kind of quilter after all!
    That sounds like me. I tell everyone I am a novice quilter because that's what I consider myself. My DDIL took me to a new quilt shop the other day and the proprietor asked me if I was a quilter. I always have to think about it because I don't always do things in the traditional way, I machine piece, machine quilt and machine embroider on many of my projects, but I am still a quilter. When I told the lady what I have made, she said I am not a novice. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around that.

if you have made a quilt (even a quilted pot holder) you certainly call yourself a quilter if you want to ...some quilters just piece tops, some quilters just quilt quilts, some people do both..it's all relative

I still hesitate to call myself a "Quilter." It's flattering to be called one but then I think of all those times I've spent more time with my seam ripper than my family (I'm thinking of naming the seam ripper-make it seem less sad, lol). Part of me just thinks that these people would be less impressed if they actually knew how many times I've had to fix things. :lol:

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I *thought* I was a quilter, but at a weekend seminar once, my tablemate stood up, rapped on the table, and announced to the room, "I'll have it here known that my table mate, Jan -- is a fabric fondler, not a quilter!"

She was right; I'd spent the better part of an hour pulling out, folding, and re-folding fabric because I couldn't decide!! But she didn't have to announce it to the world!~!

So, Hi, my name is Jan and I am a fabricophile who calls herself a quilter. :oops:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast