Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Soaking your mat? >

Soaking your mat?

Soaking your mat?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Well! Who knew? I am going to at least wipe mine down. Don't think I have anyplace big enough to soak it.
I didn't have a big enough flat space to soak it, but in a previous thread on this topic it was suggested to put the mat out on a table and cover it with a large towel soaked in warm water overnight. The next night I flipped it over and did it again. Others have suggested soaking in a kiddy pool in the warmer weather.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks for sharing. That's one thing I love about this forum, you learn something new all the time!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM

I've taken to wiping it with a fairly wet cloth or sponge after use.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM

I tend to soak mine at least once a year normally in the spring. Not sure why I guess I just think of it more then as my skin is drying out due to the heat on during the winter.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I clean mine often, but never have washed it. It's 23" x 70", so I don't want to even try. I use a tool that pulls the thread and fabric out of the mat and then wash it with soapy water on a rag, not too wet though. It looks like brand new when I do this. I can't remember where I bought the tool, but it's awesome. It's plastic, so any piece of plastic will probably work. You just run it down the board everywhere. You'd be amazed at all the thread that thing pulls out of the mat. And washing it gets rid of marks I leave from pencils and markers that accidentally hit the mat.

I bought this big mat from an owner of a LQS. She was ordering one for her shop and I asked if she could order one for me, also. She did and at cost only. What a gal.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
pw6

thanks ladies, I just learned something new, My mat is so worn out that the inch markers are gone.. it is one of those milky clear mats from Joann's and I have had it for about 6 years and have cut out over 150 quilts on it, no more as I cut a lot out for my friends.. I really want oneof those green or blue commerical mats that I can build a table with space tp iron on the other end and have storage below.. wishful thinking but one day...
Old 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM

This information is from Olfa:

It is recommended that you soak your mat from time to time. Your self healing mat loves moisture.
To soak it, put your mat in a bathtub or large container (would have to be large so it can lay flat) and soak it for 15-20 minutes in a solution of 1/4 cup white vinegar to every gallon of cool water. Let me repeat, cool water. Do this every so often to help extend its useful life.
Then use a squirt of mild dishwashing soap (Ivory) and clean the mat with a mushroom brush (soft is the key word here). The purpose of this gentle scouring is to remove the fibers that get trapped in the cuts marks preventing the cuts from "healing".
Keep 'em clean, keep 'em moist, keep 'em flat and NO heat. Your cutting mat is not a coffee cup coaster!

Phew!! My mat smells. How do I get rid of the odor?
Olfa recommends that you wipe the mat with a solution of equal parts of water and white vinegar. Let the mat sit for a few minutes. Rinse the mat and dry with a towel. Repeat as needed.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

well I have two large Olfa mats and actually have never soaked them. they are still in great shape. Oh, I think those milky white mats ruin more rotary blades than I like to think about.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks for sharing...very interesting!!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:56 PM

I soaked my mat once. Cleaned it with mild dish soap and scrubbed lightly with a soft brush. The next few times I used it, I kept getting a zillion fibers stuck in my mat. Everytime I rotary cut any fabric I got the same thing - more fibers! I'm just not sure I want to soak it again. Took a long time for it not to do that. It's working just fine now. Anyone else ever have that happen to them?