Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sooo...when ordering fab from Connecting Threads clearance dept... >

sooo...when ordering fab from Connecting Threads clearance dept...

sooo...when ordering fab from Connecting Threads clearance dept...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM

How do you order? Just want jumps at you?

How do you order if you want colors to work together? I see fab that I like and would to build some quilt "kits" for future projects ~~~yeah like I need more projects~~~~ but not sure how to coordinate the fab.

Do you just order and hope it works and shop locally for more blenders?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM

on connecting thread I go to the kit builder and pick a project that kind of works like what I want to do, then play with the colors til I like it. Then you can just write the fabrics down that you picked and order how much you want of them or use them to do one of their kit builder projects!

You can mix and match however you want, this is just my fav thing (mostly because I love playing with the colors!)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Julie, when I plan to shop a clearance, I gather up all the patterns that I need fabric for and make a list of the colors and amounts that I'm going to need for each pattern. I look for those first. Then if I see some things that I'd just like to have for a future project yet unplanned I decide if it's fabric that I would use as a main fabric for the quilt or if I would more likely use it as a filler and then buy accordingly to my best guess of how much I might need. Sometimes I'm just needing backings to finish off some tops I've already completed so I might just shop for those. It really just depends on your fabric needs at the moment. If you're just stash building, well I'd still consider how it might be used and then purchase an amount that would be useful in a future project. For stash building, just buy what you love and a few fabrics that will accent or contrast with the main piece. There really aren't any rules, lol, I just buy what speaks to me if I'm just shopping for the sake of shopping. Don't forget to get some thread to go with the projects your considering. CT has great threads, I love the cotton threads and huge variety of colors available. CT also has free shipping with a $50 purchase. Have fun!!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM

I just buy what I like. I'm also finding out that while I like to use patterns for some projects, I also like to pluck fabrics from my stash and let my creative self go. (I'll never win awards for my work, but I do have fun.)

My "grands" also get to pick from my stash and at clearance prices, I don't feel at all bad if something they do goes awry.

Sometimes I buy their clearance fabrics to use as pieced backings, as I like the back of my quilts to have some personality, too. I especially like to do that for baby/toddler quilts so that the quilt can 'grow up' with the child.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM

First let me say.... I love Connecting Threads and have and will continue order from them all of the time......but.....the only issue I have is some of their fabric listed as "red". My version and their version of red is not the same, but I know that now just stick to other colors. Just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 AM

I buy random fabrics all the time no matter if it's in person or on line. If I see something I like in the clearance , no matter if I have an idea to use it in or not, I will buy it for future projects. You CAN"T bet clearance prices and the fact that it may not be available later is also some thing to consider. So IMO it's better to save a few bucks now and have it on hand then to lose the chance of having it at all.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM

I buy whatever speaks to me. I know it will work with other fabrics I have because most of them fall in the same color schemes.