Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sore finger tips!  Help. >

Sore finger tips! Help.

Sore finger tips! Help.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM

thimble-it is what I use
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-...rds=thimble+it
Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Thimbles are difficult to get used to because of the need for different sizes. Before I got into quilting more intensely, I tried thimbles and none of them seemed to work. One instructor recommended the Dritz adjustable thimble, it is plastic you put it in boiling water then fit it to your finger. They worked the best at the time. Always kept an extra one available in case the one I was using ran away, or decided to play hide and seek. Then I went to the Road to California show about 10 years ago and found TJ Lane's thimbles. They sell thimbles by size, not small-medium-large but actual sizes like rings. The ones I bought are silver and yes they were pricey - but worth every penny. Over the years I have bought 4 different thimbles. They fit and stay on my finger! The only weird thing I have found is that I have to lick my finger before putting the thimble on it - seems to hold it on better.

I have not used anything on my hand under the quilt. Maybe I will order some and give it a try.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback - my under fingers are just fine. I use my ring finger and middle finger to push it through, but I use my index finger to pull on the needle making sure it is spaced uniformly. Lots of great suggestions
Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 PM

I had to give up on the traditional hand quilting stitch because of my arthritic hands. Too much bending of the fingers and twisting of the wrist. Fortunately, someone on this board mentioned Thimblelady, and her folding technique. She is an Australian woman who also had trouble with the pricked finger method and developed a different method, and wrote a book called 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain'. You don't prick your underneath finger, so no sore fingers! The stitch is similar, but you manipulate the cloth around the needle, which eliminates a lot of the hand stress of the traditional stitch, as well as the pricked finger. Thimblelady thimbles, which have deeper dimples and are worn down on the finger, are inexpensive. You might try having a look at her website. I am so thrilled that I found this method and could continue hand quilting!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM

I found a leather thimble at JoAnn Fabrics and works get for me. I have also used medical tape on my finger tips too.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM

I use leather thimbles both the brown leather ones and the black leather ones. They are made of deer skin. I wear one on my middle finger of my right hand and the thumb of my left hand. If I am quilting in a standing frame I quilt with both hands. That makes for less wear and tear on one finger. I cant use a metal thimble. Like any other skill it takes practice but it is worth it.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM

I am working on an EPP Hexie quilt and I can't tell you how much money I have spent and wasted on different thimbles! They are either too small, won't stay on, too rigid or just cumbersome. I'm not sure how I came up with my solution but it really works! I got a pair of kitchen gloves (the kind that are used for washing dishes and cleaning the oven; they are usually yellow) and I cut the fingers off of them. I slip a glove finger on my finger that I use to push my needle. The glove finger fits snugly and I can leave it on when I am doing all the tasks involved in making the Hexies. I did buy some really cheap ones at the dollar store but the are too thin. I have purchased thicker ones at Dollar General for less than $3. If it gets a hole in it, I just throw it away and pull out another one!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM

I cut the leather finger tips off of one of DH work gloves, he had ruined one. It works great.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:09 PM

I can't get used to thimbles. I stick one of the self-adhesive little leather pads to my finger.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 PM
IQ2

I had holes in my underneath finger from hand quilting. I bought these stick-on "thimble-its" in Michaels and they were the perfect solution. I use each one at least six times until it doesn't adhere any more. I highly recommend them:
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-...829926-9688166