Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sore finger tips!  Help. >

Sore finger tips! Help.

Sore finger tips! Help.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM

To help your finger heal, you might try some Vitamin E. I squeeze it out of a capsule and gently pat/rub it. But it is a bit sticky, so you can't use it and sew. Heals the skin very quickly. Especially good on small abrasions.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 PM

When I get sore fingers like that, I'll apply a small (very small) amount of Abreva (for fever blisters), together with neosporin. The Abreva stops the pain from the soreness and the neosporin helps to heal. You might be amazed what a difference this formula makes!

Jeanette
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 PM

I remember a tip from a hand quilting teacher many years ago.
Preparation H .... Just tell the gal at the till it's for your swollen painful quilting fingers
I found the same tip on this site http://www.blockcentral.com/tips-healthy.shtml

(Had to look it up in case it was all in a dream))
Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 PM

I just read through all the post so far and it looks like I'm the only one who uses Super glue. I put a little dab over the spot (sometimes 2 or 3) where the needle hits my finger and it makes a nice pad. I also use it when my fingers split and break open it seals them right up.
I saw on the news once where a Dr's child split open her head while on vacation and he used Super glue to seal it up and she didn't have a scar when healed. I have been using Super glue for years....it works for me.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 PM

I also use the thimblelady thimble, absolutely love it! While I was waiting for it to arrive, I carried on without it, and the stitches were huge and incredibly painful! I bought the starter kit, which comes with every size of plastic thimble so you definitely get the size for you! It came with a practice panel, which I found really helpful! I worked my wag through the book and by the end my stitches were about 3 times smaller and much more uniform than before!
I loved it so much I ordered one of the metal ones in the right size!
I'm not such a fan of her needles though, I have had several snap mid-stitch! I've then had to go burrowing around in the batting to find the tip that's snapped off!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:40 AM

I keep a thimble handy and use it just to push the needle through, but do not wear it as yet (still do not have the hang of it). Also, I purchased a needle puller -- an awesome investment.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:29 AM

At night I use neosporin when I go to bed and rub it in good. During the day, I use the new Vaseline Spray and Go (the green can) every time after I wash my hands. It is not sticky and rubs right in. Doesn't stain the fabric and my hands are in much better condition.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 AM

Udder Cream works pretty well. however I like to mix my own: 1 large bottle Vaseline Extra Dry Skin Cream, 1 large bottle Johnson and Johnson pink baby lotion, and one jar of vitamin D cream. Mix thoroughly and put into containers. You will have some good smelling hand and foot cream for a long time.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 AM

I like the dots a lot..even those take getting used to but sure does make your finger feel better. I use my middle finger and not my index finger. I also love "UDDERLY SMOOTH" udder cream. I have found it all over the place..lately I found tubes of it in the Dollar store. It takes away a lot of soreness. I was not aware of the "Aunt Becky" thing and will definitely look into that. Always learning on this board for sure!!! Happy Memorial Day..be sure to display the FLAG!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:17 AM

It is very hard to develop a callous. I made myself use a thimble and now I cannot do without one. On my index finger of the top hand I use rubber finger cover like the banking people use to count money only trimmed down in length to fit my finger. It is slightly thicker rubber and does not wear through like the thinner finger tips do.