Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spacing question

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar

spacing question

I've started quilting a baby quilt, and because I'm a rank amateur, I've decided to just to quilt random wavy lines along the length of the blanket. I think it will suit the pattern fine, but what I'm wondering about is if there's rule of thumb for how close sew the lines. Is 2-3" apart too much space between lines?

I am sure others will come along, and have much better info than I do, but I think the real deciding factor is your batting. I THINK most batting packaging has the minimum quilting space info on there somewhere. As I understand it, if you don't quilt close enough for the batting you use, it MAY fall apart when washed. HTH... Faye

scrappingfaye58 is correct - look at the spec sheet for your batting. There should be guide lines for quilting on that. After you find that number - as long as you are no further apart than that - go for it.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Yep, the batting determines the spacing. Remember that is also more of a circumferencial measure - width and height - and not a one dimensional measure.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

you need to read your batting package- some need to be quilted every 2" some allow up to 10" between quilting lines- and everything in between. also the distance needs to be in both directions- if you simply make *tunnels* the batting can separate-pull apart in there will be areas with none & areas with gobs- if the batting says quilt every 4" there should be a 4" square of quilting lines- closer is ok- wider is not good.
    follow the recommendations on the packaging and you will do fine.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'm using Warm and Natural. It says quilt up to 10" apart, so 2-3 should be ok, right? But you're all saying I should add lines across as well?

Sarah ... is this the quilt that we both made from the Oh Frassone blog??

yes to others ... the batting determines.

Yes the batting instructions are for circumference measurement, and generally if I am going to quilt linear only I will cut the minimum quilting recommendation in half.

If you are quilting 3" apart linear you should be find quilting in one direction only. You can even get by with 4" or 5" apart.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I've started quilting a baby quilt, and because I'm a rank amateur, I've decided to just to quilt random wavy lines along the length of the blanket. I think it will suit the pattern fine, but what I'm wondering about is if there's rule of thumb for how close sew the lines. Is 2-3" apart too much space between lines?
    Most batting recommends a minimum distance. I'd say up to 5" would work.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
    I'm using Warm and Natural. It says quilt up to 10" apart, so 2-3 should be ok, right? But you're all saying I should add lines across as well?

Not necessarily. Stick you finger anywhere on the quilt and see how far to a quilting line.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Yes, that's the one! I made one set of lines where the columns join and figure I'll do 2 more between those lines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast