Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speed of machine when FMQ??? >

Speed of machine when FMQ???

Speed of machine when FMQ???

Old 05-11-2015, 04:37 PM

Default Speed of machine when FMQ???

What speed do you run your machine when you FMQ? I haven't had my Brother VQ2400 for very long and have been trying to do some FMQ with it...I noticed that when I run the machine almost to the top of the speed the machine vibrates a lot, do all machines do this? I have taken to running it at half speed when I FMQ and that works ok but I really would like to do the FMQ at a faster speed.. it gets my quilts done faster... I am only doing stippling so nothing fancy and all these quilts go to the hospital, so I would like to quilt then as fast as I can.

One of the reasons I bought this machine is that it said it sewed 1,050 SPM and it had a larger throat size..I do like this machine and have made 10 baby quilts so far and quilted all them on this machine.. It does quilt nice but I did have some trouble with which thread that I could use..The machine does not like the cheaper thread like coats and clark, to quilt, it will use it to piece a top but not quilt it. I have been using Guterman to do the quilting and that seems ok.
I need to go back to the dealer and ask him about this speed thing, maybe next week I can do a road trip.. anyway I would love to hear if anyone else has this problem of your machine vibrating at high speed and if you have to use better tread to quilt with.. Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM

Is it the machine or the table that is vibrating? I have a very sturdy table at home, but when I go to sewing classes or retreats I have problems if I don't have my machine very near a leg for support. It vibrates like crazy when in the middle of those folding tables generally used t the classes I attend!

Pam
Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 PM

I don't have the same machine as you do. I have a Janome 6600 - which I love. I am far from an expert, and I am still trying to find my "groove".

When I started I used my foot pedal and I could go pretty fast. But my foot would change speeds a lot and then my stitches were different sizes and I got a little messy (sometimes a lot messy).

The last 3 that did I unhooked my foot pedal and used the start/stop button. I think I like this better. I can pick whatever speed I want and it will be a consistent speed. One quilt I went slow because I was doing snow flakes when I did my loopy loops I could go pretty fast.

I did have some shaking, but I think that was my table not my machine.

I have found that my machine hates coats and clark thread too. I almost always use King Tut thread to quilt

Good luck and have fun
Old 05-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't have your machine but agree that it might be your table that is vibrating. Same
machine on two different tables and different results. I am
not an expert at FMQ but can do a respectable meander - I find there is a "sweet spot" between the speed of the machine and my hands. I don't always get there but when I do it is noticeable how much better things flow. For me I think it is practice.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 PM

I put my machine on a non-slip pad ... seems to help
Old 05-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Well I am backwards from most at fmq because I go reeeaaaly slow. I am not very good at it and haven't been at it for years like some. But then I also don't drop my feed dogs! I found my stitches were actually more consistent and prettier this way. I found when I used the coats and clark regular quilting threads it shredded sometimes when quilting. I had 4 spools of the coats & clark star someone gave me and it performed fabulously when quilting but it is pretty thick (30wt). I've fallen in deep love with the Presencia 60/3 for piecing and the Essential threads for quilting. I agree with others that it is probably the table vibrating. You could set the machine on a real sturdy surface temporarily like your kitchen counter and just run it full speed to see if it vibrates. That should tell you if it's your machine or the table.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
What speed do you run your machine when you FMQ? I haven't had my Brother VQ2400 for very long and have been trying to do some FMQ with it...I noticed that when I run the machine almost to the top of the speed the machine vibrates a lot, do all machines do this? I have taken to running it at half speed when I FMQ and that works ok but I really would like to do the FMQ at a faster speed.. it gets my quilts done faster... I am only doing stippling so nothing fancy and all these quilts go to the hospital, so I would like to quilt then as fast as I can.

One of the reasons I bought this machine is that it said it sewed 1,050 SPM and it had a larger throat size..I do like this machine and have made 10 baby quilts so far and quilted all them on this machine.. It does quilt nice but I did have some trouble with which thread that I could use..The machine does not like the cheaper thread like coats and clark, to quilt, it will use it to piece a top but not quilt it. I have been using Guterman to do the quilting and that seems ok.
I need to go back to the dealer and ask him about this speed thing, maybe next week I can do a road trip.. anyway I would love to hear if anyone else has this problem of your machine vibrating at high speed and if you have to use better tread to quilt with.. Thanks
These machines are heavy if its vibrating it is your surface and not the machine. I haven't had my dreamweaver machine vibrate when FMQ at any speed. As for thread if you are using cotton for FMQ the only thread I have used and loved is king tut in different machines.I much prefer poly less headaches
Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

I have my speed set at medium when FMQing. I have more control if I am not at top speed.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:37 PM

Thanks all for your help on my machine vibrating... I will try it on a different table and see what happens, I don't think that is what is going on as the machine sits on a table my hubby made using a solid core door, so it is pretty strong and he has it braced really well up to the wall and he used two by fours for the legs,

I well have to look into some good thread for quilting, where do you buy the king tut thread I never heard of this brand before.. I don't think Jo Anns sells it, or I never saw it there...
Old 05-12-2015, 01:20 AM

Superior Threads makes King Tut https://www.superiorthreads.com/product/brand/king-tut/

It's a very nice thread. I think you will find it in some quilt shops, but not Joann's.