Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video Tutorial - FMQ - Tension and Speed

Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar

Video Tutorial - FMQ - Tension and Speed

This video tutorial covers adjusting upper thread tension, hand and foot speed, and quilting on marked lines.

I am only offering my personal opinion on each topic and giving my personal opinion on the pros and cons of each method. I am not attempting to sell any individual product, nor am I paid to persuade you to use any specific product ( Anyone what would like to offer me large sums of money to do so can contact me thought *wink* )

If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

Thank you so much for these tutorials. You have touched upon many things that have been ignored by other tutorials on FMQ. I have just requested to follow your website.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Thank you for your reply ! I am not a professional by any means, I just have alot of ideas and thoughts LOL. This board has been such a great help to me in learning, I wanted to give back now that I felt I had something to offer in return !
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

I also am self taught and like your videos.
    Like you, I like different colored threads in the top and bottom.
    You have given me things to work on.
    Thank you.

no video, what happen? Thank you for your help, michele

Quote Originally Posted by emt2004 View Post
    no video, what happen? Thank you for your help, michele
    It might be your browser that is not letting you view it perhaps ? I am using Firefox and can see it fine.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I do believe you've found "what you're supposed to be doing" -- and you do it so well. I love your easy going, natural approach to quilting so very much. I've got you running in the background while I do the sewing I need to do for my business (not quilting) and I feel like I have a wonderful knowledgeable friend visiting with me today.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Thanks you so much for taking the time to do this for us! Very well done and easy to understand. What I really appreciate is the fact that you take the time when doing the stitching to make sure we can follow along. I have watched many video tutorials on this and the biggest pet peeve is that the person is zooming along so fast I can't follow the design path.

This was video 3? Yikes, I need to go find lesson 1 and 2. I can imagine they are both just as great as this one. I will be bookmarking these. Thanks again!

Is there sound in your videos? I went to youtube to watch them, but no sound.
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Is there sound in your videos? I went to youtube to watch them, but no sound.
    Yes they all have sound with the video, both here and on YouTube. Perhaps your speakers are muted or came unplugged ?

I am so thrilled that you all seem to enjoy them. Once I finish getting my room rearranged I have some more I would like to do. Are there any topics you all would like specifically that you may be having trouble with that I might be able to help with ? I may not know everything but I am willing to share what I do !

No, they are on, and working before and after trying to view the video.

Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    Yes they all have sound with the video, both here and on YouTube. Perhaps your speakers are muted or came unplugged ?
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I am so thrilled that you all seem to enjoy them. Once I finish getting my room rearranged I have some more I would like to do. Are there any topics you all would like specifically that you may be having trouble with that I might be able to help with ? I may not know everything but I am willing to share what I do !
    How about the technique of doing certain designs. I know everyone has their own way of teaching, for example, feathers. What I find when watching a lot of these videos is that they are stitching so fast that it is hard to kind of watch how they are stitching it or transitioning from one design to another.

Wonderful video, I am getting better at free motion but love to learn more. These are fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing and giving the rest of us different ways of getting the satisfaction we are working toward. I am signing up to follow you too. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your generousity.

Lisa

I love your videos and your website. Great stuff. Thanks. And I did get those purple things but haven't sewn the elastic on yet!!
    Alyce

What a wonderful way to start my day...watching your video on thread tension and quilting on marked lines.
    I have enjoyed your easy going way of giving tips to have better free-motion quilting results.

I am in the beginning stage of learning how to do free-motion quilting. I laughed out loud when you said if the person you are giving a quilt to points out every curve or point that isn't perfect, then they need medication...
    Thank you for posting the great video. Happy Quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    I laughed out loud when you said if the person you are giving a quilt to points out every curve or point that isn't perfect, then they need medication...
    I am so glad my " teaching style " seems to be going over so well. I always seem to learn better personally when the person teaching is a friend, or family member. There is no pressure to be perfect, or use the right words, it is a casual conversation and there is laughter involved, sometimes to the point of laughing till we cry ! It is one of the reasons I really do not want to do post editing in my videos. I want you to SEE that I screw up ALOT ! If you never see the teacher make a mistake, how are you going to know how to fix it later when you make the same one ?

Blog Entries
    I liked your idea of drawing your design on to freezer paper, how do you get on when you need many copies of that same design.
    I wanted to draw a design for my border but did not know how to go about it,perhaps a tutorial on multi placement of freezer paper designs
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
    I liked your idea of drawing your design on to freezer paper, how do you get on when you need many copies of that same design.
    I wanted to draw a design for my border but did not know how to go about it,perhaps a tutorial on multi placement of freezer paper designs
    Thank you
    When I need multiple copies of the same design, I just copy it multiple times. Now if it is ALOT of the same design and it is a smaller block I usually cut my freezer paper to normal printer paper size and run it through the printer on a fast draft setting ( less ink )

I also added your idea of showing how to line up multiple paper placements to the tutorial list ! Tomorrow should be a good day for me to get a couple done !

After much googling and discussion with someone who knew more avout video than I, I am hoping that those who were having trouble with the video are now able to view it as well as hear it !

Blog Entries
    That was the answer I thought you would give. Freezer paper here is $27.95 a roll, but if I can get the design lined up onto my quilt,that is a lot better than sending it out to a LA which I don't as I can not afford the charges

Quote Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
    That was the answer I thought you would give. Freezer paper here is $27.95 a roll, but if I can get the design lined up onto my quilt,that is a lot better than sending it out to a LA which I don't as I can not afford the charges
    Holy Moly !! I did not realize Freezer Paper was so expensive down there ! Then again I would imagine most things are. Hmmm Pounce chalk is another option that comes to mind. You would need to copy the pattern on the freezer paper like before, only sew on the lines with a long stitch length JUST the paper, no fabric, to leave holes in the paper for the pounce to mark your top through. Tho I would imagine Pounce was a pretty penny as well.

Blog Entries
    I have the pounce and yes it was expensive vbg, and I don't have great success with the pounce, I like your freezer paper idea better, I don't think my old printer would stand up to printing straight onto freezer paper but I could stack about three pages and sew the design without thread, at least I would know the design after doing this a number of times.
    If you know of anyone heading this was a roll or two of freezer paper would be apperciated

It might be your browser that is not letting you view it perhaps ? I am using Firefox and can see it fine.
    I'm also using Firefox, the newest version, and can't see the video either.

Unfortunately, the only way for me to be able to ensure that everyone can view and see the videos is to upload every single format to my server, which, as you can suspect, my host provider does not care for. The other option is to upload them to a popular video sharing site ( which I HAVE done ). The trouble is the board here does not like offsite links or promotions soooooo .... please use your imagination !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast