Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spicy Spiral Cutting Instructions; HELP!!! >

Spicy Spiral Cutting Instructions; HELP!!!

Spicy Spiral Cutting Instructions; HELP!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:30 PM

HAs anyone ever done one of these and could take the time to explain the cutting instructions for me?

My sisters and I are doing our annual Sisters Week Quilting Extravqaganza and we purchased the patterns. We have sewn our strata and now we are stymied.

Could anyone explain in better words than the pattern how we cut the pieces?

Do we use the chart in the pattern as a check list and cut the pieces wherever we can do on the two sets?

This might seem like gobbleygook to anyone who has never done a Spicy Spiral but I amr eally hoping some kind hearted person who has made this runner will help us out.

Right now we are three middleaged women sitting here with totally blank expressions on our faces!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I have the pattern. The instructions are not written to understand and the illustrations are horrible. I wouldn't recommend buying the pattern to anyone, it frustrating. You can look at the finished product and get all the help the pattern gives. I found bits and pieces of pics on blogs of different stages of making the spiral, those helped me a lot.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

There were lots of these posted last year, so hopefully someone will be able to help. The only tip I remember is to try and use a cutting surface you can use from both sides.
If you do a search on this board for spicy spiral, several posts come up with questions.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM

Yes, the chart is for you to keep track of which ones you have cut. There's a note on it someplace that says you might not be able to get the first (longest) one, depending on your strata. That's not a problem, just cut the one that is the longest your strata allows.

As you cut, DON'T go all the way across your strata. You want that piece to remain intact so that you can then cut more wedges from the other side of it. So you have to cut down the length, across that little top, then the other length. If you have a small rotary cutter, it really helps in cutting only the amount needed across the top (narrowest) part of your wedge without going past - if you cut too far, you won't be able to cut a wedge from the other direction.

Does that help?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM

I have made a very similar pattern, but there are no written instructions for mine. I can try and show you the first cuts of my strata and that might help.

Basically you stagger them by an inch or so and at the same time you alternate between cutting the wedge right side up then upside down. I've got to find the photos, so this will take a bit.

Very frustrating, but the only photo I can find is of the finished quilt. Grrrrr.... I will keep looking, because I had blogged about this and I know I had step by step photos.

Here's the end result of mine:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262769[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262716.jpe  
Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

This may help you: http://carolasquilting.blogspot.com/...le-runner.html
Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Yes, use the chart. Cut the pieces the size the chart says. Once you cut the pieces as far as you can on the 1st strata set, turn that same set around and cut some more. It is very helpful if you can walk around your cutting area. What I mean, is once you cut the 1st set, if you can walk around the table and cut from the other side, you won't have to move the set. Wish you were in the US, I would be able to explain it better ear to ear.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM

So I see mine is very different; for mine we cut each wedge the same length. I hope I didn't confuse you more.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Use the chart....Yes, but chart indicates the smallest piece is '3 3/4' and there is a note that says that is NOT inches...totally confusing.

Use the chart as a guide. Start as far left as you can. If you look at the chart the FIRST cut is the full length of the strata, which may or not be 21 3/4 inches long. You need all of the cuts EXCEPT the first OR last.

Then move your ruler down 3/4 inch...and cut as the pattern indicates.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:41 AM

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. Spicy Spiral... all three of thme are done and have their bias bindings sewn to the back!!

Those instructions make something very simple sound so freaking complicated!! We three looked at each other in amazement... "what was so hard about that!!!?"

Cute little runner! Pics to follow! Once again thank you!