Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spiral Eye Needles - has any one tried these

I just purchased one, just arrived a couple of days ago, and haven't tried it yet. I bought it for burying threads when I longarm quilt. I've been using the other style of self-threading needles, with a notch in the top of the needle, and I've found that the thread sometimes shreds with those, so I'm hoping the spiral eye needle will work better.

Blog Entries
    i bought some, too. the lady who makes them lives a short drive down the highway from here. i agree with the other posters that they are too thick and the points are not sharp. i do use them for burying threads, though. i find them better than the ones that have the opening on the end only.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

how very sweet that you did this for her, MM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

same here.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I also tried these. I love them for burying threads in the quilt. I don't love them for regular sewing. I tried them for a binding. I found that they would occasionally catch on the threads of the fabric and pull them. While it didn't happen with every stitch, it bothered me enough to go back to a regular needle. I think the issue may have been the angle at which I was using the needle.

For pulling threads into the quilt for burying they were fine with an occasional pull on the batting. But given how many threads I had to bury, it sure saved me a lot of time and effort.

I too use them only for buring threads. As stated they are too thick and not sharp enought for normal sewing.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

These needles look interesting to me, and I may order some to see how they do. I also like that they are made in the USA.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I ordered them for burying threads. Haven't tried them yet, but expect to soon as I'm about at that stage on the quilt I'm binding right now.

Cheers, K

I love them but only use for burying threads after quilting on my LA. I have some of the Fons & Porters ones but they come unthreaded so easy so I really have liked this one. Everyone has their own thing I guess! Hopefully you will like them. Let us know what you think:-)

I got my needles and they are definetely thick and blunt! I will probably only use them for hiding thread....which is what I saw them being used for in the first place. A tool for everything...lol. Thanks for all the information from every one.
    Linda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2