Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Spray Basting Brands

Blog Entries

Spray Basting Brands

I have been reading everything I can about spray basting, and I am about to try it for the first time. Which brand is the best that you all use? I have a bunch of Joann's coupons and I will be looking for the spray basting can- any brand that I should avoid?
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I like to spray baste with 505 it has the least amount of overspray and odor. It is now on sale on website Sew for Less @13.49 a can regular price is $23.
    SEW HAPPY

I too like the 505 , but have also had good luck with the Dritz brand sold at Jo'Anns. When I first used a spray I bought the June Tailor spray.... never again... fumes like you would not believe and had to shake to can for a long time or it does not stick.

505 hands down.

Blog Entries
    Joann's has the Dritz. Works for me, especially at 40% off. But 505 is the best, IMHO.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    I read you can use spray adhesive instead so I've tried it (Elmers) and it seems to work ok. It's a lot cheaper. I've used one can of each and can't tell the difference but YMMV
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Blog Entries
    I started out using other brands but 505 is all I will use now. It is the best. However, JoAnn's does not sell it. As someone else mentioned, I buy a couple of the large cans at a time from http://www.sewforless.com . Here is a link to the large can there:
    http://www.sewforless.com/item/505_T...OUND_ONLY/7391

Blog Entries
    Hm I'm not sure about the Elmer's - does it say it's washable and re-positionable? That's the only way I'd use it.

I use Sullivan's because it's the easiest to get in my area. You can also use embroidery adhesive spray.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Hm I'm not sure about the Elmer's - does it say it's washable and re-positionable? That's the only way I'd use it.

I use Sullivan's because it's the easiest to get in my area. You can also use embroidery adhesive spray.
    It's washable.. not sure about re-positionable. From their website: Product Description:
    This fast-tack acid-free spray adhesive creates a temporary or permanent bond and resists bleed-through for more professional results. Great for adhering lightweight materials such as photos, paper, fabrics, cork, leather, canvas, foam, foil, films, cardboard, and felt.

I read to follow the directions for a temporary bond. I just sprayed it and then applied the batting and the batting is pretty stuck to the fabric. It is re-positionable for a day or two. I also press the whole thing together, which I think makes it a permanent bond.
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I love 505.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast