Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Spray Basting Brands

Blog Entries

Spray Basting Brands

I have been reading everything I can about spray basting, and I am about to try it for the first time. Which brand is the best that you all use? I have a bunch of Joann's coupons and I will be looking for the spray basting can- any brand that I should avoid?
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I like to spray baste with 505 it has the least amount of overspray and odor. It is now on sale on website Sew for Less @13.49 a can regular price is $23.
    SEW HAPPY

I too like the 505 , but have also had good luck with the Dritz brand sold at Jo'Anns. When I first used a spray I bought the June Tailor spray.... never again... fumes like you would not believe and had to shake to can for a long time or it does not stick.

505 hands down.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Joann's has the Dritz. Works for me, especially at 40% off. But 505 is the best, IMHO.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    I read you can use spray adhesive instead so I've tried it (Elmers) and it seems to work ok. It's a lot cheaper. I've used one can of each and can't tell the difference but YMMV
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Blog Entries
    I started out using other brands but 505 is all I will use now. It is the best. However, JoAnn's does not sell it. As someone else mentioned, I buy a couple of the large cans at a time from http://www.sewforless.com . Here is a link to the large can there:
    http://www.sewforless.com/item/505_T...OUND_ONLY/7391

Blog Entries
    Hm I'm not sure about the Elmer's - does it say it's washable and re-positionable? That's the only way I'd use it.

I use Sullivan's because it's the easiest to get in my area. You can also use embroidery adhesive spray.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Hm I'm not sure about the Elmer's - does it say it's washable and re-positionable? That's the only way I'd use it.

I use Sullivan's because it's the easiest to get in my area. You can also use embroidery adhesive spray.
    It's washable.. not sure about re-positionable. From their website: Product Description:
    This fast-tack acid-free spray adhesive creates a temporary or permanent bond and resists bleed-through for more professional results. Great for adhering lightweight materials such as photos, paper, fabrics, cork, leather, canvas, foam, foil, films, cardboard, and felt.

I read to follow the directions for a temporary bond. I just sprayed it and then applied the batting and the batting is pretty stuck to the fabric. It is re-positionable for a day or two. I also press the whole thing together, which I think makes it a permanent bond.
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I love 505.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

The Elmer's states on the can if you want a permanent bond to spray and attach within 15 seconds. For a temporary bond wait 1-2 minutes after spraying to attach. I've used it for quilt basting and it works great. I also made a little birthday hat for my grandson, fabric attached to poster board, and it worked great.

I use the Dritz brand and have no issues....best of all I can buy it at Walmart for $8. As for the Elmer's spray adhesive, I don't want anything that is permanent....I want it to wash out.

I use 505 -- I looked at the Elmers and was afraid I would do it wrong and it would be permanent.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I used the 505 spray. I am asthmatic and very sensitive to some things. The 505 was not irritating in the least little bit. If I use spray again, this will be what I use.

note: I did spray indoors at a church not in my house. No spraying is allowed inside my house!. Though I do use Best Press to spritz before cutting some of my fabrics.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Joann's sells 505 online. $11.49 for 11.7 oz can and $5.99 for 8.5 oz can and right now they have free shipping with a code.

http://www.joann.com/search/_505/
    Last edited by GypsyRse1; 02-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    I totally agree with Lori S about the June Tailor brand, used it what a mess! If Dritz is better I will try it. I hate that JoAnns doesn't sell 505 (I want to use coupons - this stuff is expensive!).
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I just went to JoAnn's online, did a search on basting spray, and 505 did not come up. However, when I did a search on 505, it came up! Apparently "basting spray" is not in the 505 title.

The large can from sewforless.com is 16.9 oz and red in color; the large can from JoAnn's is 11.7 oz and yellow in color. My understanding is that the red version is made in France, and that is the only difference (other than price).

I have never seen 505 sold in JoAnn stores where I am, so I'm surprised to see it sold at JoAnn's online.

I use Sulky KK 2000. It comes in a small can but does the same amount as large can of 505. I like it so much better, you use very little and there is no smell. It is a temporary adhesive and will stop working after 2-5 days so I use it and quilt immediately. I like it because you don't use much and you can reposition. If you want it to stop you just dry iron. I love it.

505 has my vote. I've tried other brands and they just caused problems. Don't like gummy needles and I don't get it with 505.

Can someone supply the Joann's free shipping code and the date it expires? Iappreciate the help.

505 all the time!!! Really??? JoAnns had them on sale on Friday. When I went to purchase on Saturday, they were not on sale. Now they are on sale again?????
    It will have to wait until morning!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Free shipping code is SNP56 - just ordered 2 cans of 505 and a new 6 x 24 ruler. great deal on notions and free shipping too!! saves me a trip of 35 miles this week, and keeps me out of the fabric aisles. thanks to all - will be using 505!!
    Quote Originally Posted by soozieq2 View Post
    Can someone supply the Joann's free shipping code and the date it expires? Iappreciate the help.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up. I also ordered 2 cans of 505, a 60* ruler, and a 1/4" ruler. I actually ordered the smaller cans of 505, because it is less expensive per oz than the larger can.

I have a longarm now so I no longer spray baste, but when I did I used Sullivan's which can be found at Hancock's. I use to pay $11-$12, I think. I have to agree about the June Tailor brand. I did not like it. I have a can of the 505 but have never tried it.

I love the Sullivan's..I tried the June Taylor and it didn't hold. I have some of the Elmer's but was going to experiment with a small wallhanging first..
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast