Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basting hates me >

Spray basting hates me

Spray basting hates me

Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

first i clamp my backing down tight then I "roll" my layers ( batting/top) ... Works like a charm..
Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I have had the same problem, but lived to conquer it and now love spray basting or glue basting. Of course, by the time you peel it all apart you will look like a white fur ball. I know this from experience.

I like to lay the batting down on my table. I clamp it down all around the edges with my big clamps. (They came in a cheapie set from Walmart and look like chip bag clips.) Next, I smooth the backing over the batting and clamp one edge and half of one end. Flip the unclamp half of the batting back and spray baste. Repeat for the other half.

Flip the whole mess over and repeat for the top. Somehow, for me, starting with the batting on the table makes things lay still. Every time I put the backing on the table and add the batting I get wrinkles.
Ahhhhh thank u so much! Because you posted this I put the batting down on the floor and put the backing over it. It worked! then I flipped it over and put the top down and it is perfect. thank you so much I'm so glad I posted this. I love this board everyone is so helpful!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 PM

I think from now on tho im going to pin baste. Ive nevef had such trouble pin basting it.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 PM

I had the same problems with spray baste. It was just a mess. Then I used the Sharon Schamber method of rolling the quilt on to boards and then thread basting. That works really, really well but it's time consuming. So then I tried spray basting with the boards and it works even better than the thread basting. Next time I baste a quilt I'll use the boards and Elmer's glue. The real secret is winding the top and backing on the boards to keep them flat and smooth.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:00 AM

One more thing about spray basting--which I do all the time--you need precious little spray and it does not need to be on every inch of the batting. If you have a lot of trouble with wrinkles, you may be using too much. Lighten up a bit on how much you use and see if that also helps.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 AM

I just posted a few minutes ago how I make the sandwich, and it is just the way Lisa stated. I start with the batting, spray it and smooth on the backing, flip and repeat with the actual quilt top. That just works SO much better for me.