Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What defines a  'show quality' quilt? >

What defines a 'show quality' quilt?

What defines a 'show quality' quilt?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Default What defines a 'show quality' quilt?

I would like to enter a quilt in an AQS show. I don't expect my quilt to be accepted because I'm not an experienced quilter. I can pieced well, just not expert at the quilting part.

I just want to finish my quilt to be show quality and see what kind of comments come back from the judges to improve my skills.

What have your experiences been?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 AM

I would like to know that too. I don't know if I'll ever get my skills up to, "show quality," but I'd like to set my goals.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

here are just a few of the previous posts:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t200375.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...on-t87325.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ie-t59830.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...re-t40613.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ow-t48147.html
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I have not entered any shows other than non-judged guild shows, so I may be wrong about this, but if your quilt is not accepted I do not believe you will receive any comments on it, other than that it wasn't accepted. I agree that it would be nice to have a critique on our quilts so we can improve. When I finish a quilt I only "know what I know" about what's wrong with it (and that could be plenty!) but I would like to know what a judge sees in it, the good, bad, and ugly. We do have the ability to submit quilts to the fair for judging, but I have helped with that in the past (laying out the quilts for the judge) and was not impressed by the quality of the comments, especially since the judge was asked to give two positive comments for every negative comment.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 AM

If possible I would recommend entering some of the smaller shows that might be in your area. It's a great confidence builder to see your quilts hanging in these shows and also gives you a really good critical look at your quilt as opposed to others in a show. You will immediately see things that can be done better. Have you attended one of the AQS shows? Very intimidating!!! I remember saying that I would never live long enough to get that good. But some years later I made it into the Paducah show. So, never say never. Precise piecing usually leads to a good square quilt which is important. I've never seen any in the AQS that are not square. Also, pay attention to the binding. Good mitered corners and a fully filled binding seems to be a must. The quilting part...if you're not confident with machine quilting try something by hand. Possibly stitch in the ditch could solve some of the problem depending on the pattern.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM

I should add that cleanliness is big!! Always make sure there are no loose threads and no pet hair.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Hi Stitch123. In the area of judging, there is a such a huge difference between who is the judge. I would encourage you to try and submit your application. Make sure the pictures are of the best quality that show your workmanship. If you are denied entry, there will not be any comments. Judges don't always leave comments on your quilt. Mostly it will be critical and not commentary. I started showing my quilts thru my guild with our quilt show and worked my way up thru county fairs up to competing in the state fairs. I entered a major show out here called Road to California. I was accepted and took 2nd place with my avatar quilt. I was honored since I knew many of the participants that I was up against were instructors of the highest local notoriety. The quilt that took first deserved it and was in the introduction of Simply Quilts. It was magnificent. I wish you the best of luck. Remember the old saying: If you don't succeed, try try again !!!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM

The judges do not offer coments in an AQS show. You hear coments from people looking at your quilt. I have recieved judges coments in smaller shows. The thing to remember is that the judges opinion is just one persons opinion and if you are happy with your quilt, that is all that matters.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM

I believe the only AQS show that offers comments is the show at Paducah.

If you want to be critiqued, I'd suggest the NQA show in Columbus. While it's competitive, it's not juried so they take the first 400 quilts. When you get your quilt back there will be a sheet of judges comments. Local quilt shows are also a good place to exhibit.

Good luck!

Janet
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM

I agree with starting small.... enter your local fairs and quilt shows first. Then, go to the show and hang out to listen what people have to say. I've done that.... and have heard some wonderful comments and some hurtful comments. We all have an individual eye and are looking for different things. Personally, I still am amazed at some of the wonderful quilting.... because I still struggle with my selection of design and ability to pull it off like I see it in my head.

The quilt in my avatar won 1st place at the county art show back 6 years ago.... I was thrilled. But I know where the mistakes are. I don't think the judges were quilters... I don't know. I think they were artists. I haven't entered any shows since that win.