Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do judges look for when judging quilts in a show?

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of entering a few quilts as judged entries in the local guild's show next Spring. I know that a certain percentage of the judging is given for different aspects of the presented piece.

Does anyone know, generally, what judges look for and what are some good tips so that a quilt may be considered as a top candidate?

Blog Entries
    I help with the county fair quilts. I listen to the judges while they pick the winners. They always check the binding first, then the quilting.

Pam
    It must hang straight, with even quilting throughout.

No chopped off points, clean intersections. Must have a label and hanging sleeve, depending on the show.

Blog Entries
    intersections meet!

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    I'm thinking of entering a few quilts as judged entries in the local guild's show next Spring. I know that a certain percentage of the judging is given for different aspects of the presented piece.

Does anyone know, generally, what judges look for and what are some good tips so that a quilt may be considered as a top candidate?

Blog Entries
    also they look at the quilting!

They want the binding at the corners to be sewn down at the diagonal turnings. and the borders to match the quilt pattern.

Blog Entries
    balanced quilting, visual impact, use of color and creativity. binding needs to be full to the edges. straight, squared, edges not rippled/wavy. borders proportionate to the center of the quilt. even stitches.
    they see the visual impact of the quilt first just like we all do, then they start measuring and checking out the technique, and quality of workmanship. make sure you follow any rules such as size, hanging sleeve guidelines (if required) appliques need to be attached well (as with any embellishments)
    the judges write up a little report on each quilt even if you do not win any ribbons their criticism is invaluable, read it and look over your quilts and learn, never take it personal...they are not making personal judgements, they do not even know who's quilt they are judging.

The National Quilting Associatiion website has lots of information on judging criteria.
    http://nqaquilts.org/judges/judges-about.php
    http://nqaquilts.org/judges/judges-faq.php
    Although local shows (quild, county fair, 4-H, etc) may differ slightly, it can't hurt to aim high. Most show committees will let you know in advance what the quilts will be judged on and if you Google quilt judging criteria, you will find a wealth of additiiional information online.

One thing I also remember from helping at local fairs is as someone mentioned, even quilting throughout and there should be no space bigger than the palm of your hand unquilted.

Blog Entries
    Great info!! Thanks!

They also look HARD for stops and starts! If you use a busy backing this will help disguise some of that.

I scribed for a judge last August. She had a real pet peeve about all over quilting that didn't add to the design of the quilt. She said that the quilting is a design element and that meandering is becoming so frequent and often times does not lend to the overall design of the quilt. Of course, that was the opinion of one judge. She also looked for the quilt to be square and bindings to be full.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    They also look HARD for stops and starts! If you use a busy backing this will help disguise some of that.
    Really? Boy they sure wouldn't like mine. I quilt on my home machine, no mid or long arm. I have to stop and start ALOT....lol
    This is a neat thread. Lots of interesting info in case I ever decide to enter a quilt.
    Thanks

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the judges too. I enter my hand pieced, hand quilted Texas Lone Star at our show last year and got a page back with it showing either a check- or check +. I know my quilts need work, not a professinal, but I actually got a check + on everything but the binding. LOL I knew that was coming. I probably deserved less than the check-.ROFL. IMHO they were very nice to me. My first quitl show too. NO big prize but it was exciting to see my quilt there.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you go to Granburyquiltersguild.com at the top of the first page on the left is my Texas Lone Star quilt. I even stippled the corners by handstitching. I don't know how to transfer it to this site. Still learning. HAHA> IF anyone can go and "fetch" it and bring it here. I would love to show it off.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    If you go to Granburyquiltersguild.com at the top of the first page on the left is my Texas Lone Star quilt. I even stippled the corners by handstitching. I don't know how to transfer it to this site. Still learning. HAHA> IF anyone can go and "fetch" it and bring it here. I would love to show it off.
    I'll put the link to it here.
    http://www.granburyquiltersguild.com...-quilts-1.html
    Very pretty quilt, BTW.
    I love lone stars.

Blog Entries
    Debbie U - Nice job!!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Wow!! This is beautiful! I think you did great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You did a wonderful job. I love your work.

Trueimage---
    How'd you get the image to show in the message instead of a link?
    (can you tell I'm computer-challenged?) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    Trueimage---
    I went to this link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-429-1.htm

First I replied quote to your message. It took me to the reply page where there is an option to choose a file from your computer to attach. First I had to save your photo to my computer in order to upload it here. After I attached your photo, I just clicked send and your photo was posted! If you are still unsure after reading the steps in the link, let me know and I'll try to help you. Can't wait until I can post an awesome picture too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trueimage
    Trueimage---

First I replied quote to your message. It took me to the reply page where there is an option to choose a file from your computer to attach. First I had to save your photo to my computer in order to upload it here. After I attached your photo, I just clicked send and your photo was posted! If you are still unsure after reading the steps in the link, let me know and I'll try to help you. Can't wait until I can post an awesome picture too!!!!
    Thanks for the directions. I never could figure it out.
    And I want to point out that the quilt isn't mine.
    I wish it were!!

Trueimage---

Thanks for the directions. I never could figure it out.
    And I want to point out that the quilt isn't mine.
    I wish it were!!
    Oh sorry! Do you understand how to post a pic now? I'm new to quilting and hope to acquire just a some of the talent I've seen here! I'm ok with techy stuff....but just a babe at quilting! haha

Oh sorry! Do you understand how to post a pic now?
    Yes thanks!