Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spray Starch (homemade)

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Hope you do not mind me adding a recipe. I just ran out of starch mid project and hubby does not want to run out to get any. So after looking online I found some basic corn starch and water recipes but I wanted it to smell good so I did

1 1/2 cups of water
    1/2 cup of Fabreeze
    1 tab spoon corn starch

Mix and pour into a bottle and it works WONDERFUL!!! My squares and blocks smell so good and they are crisp
    I use 2 cups of water and a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch.
    I don't add Febreeze due to the chemical composition. If I want a light scent, sometimes I add a capful of lemon extract or almond extract or vanilla extract. It just takes a small amount. However, I usually prefer to leave it unscented.

Optional. It just makes it smell good. I put maybe one or two drops in. I think the one in the bottle that they sell at the LQS has scent too.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Would the oil leave marks?

Is the oil optional or necessary? I don't have any.

Good way to do large fabric pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I used the same recipe as Frannie, but used more starch and added Febreeze later, smells great! After I wash fabrics I take them to the sink still wet and put fabrics in a bowl and ppour starch right over top, squeeze out extra and hang on clothesline until dry. The fabrics are a little stiffer whan if just sprayed on and it dries quickly on the line.

I use a funnel to put left over starch right back in the one quart milk jug it came out of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    SPRAY STARCH

1 qt (4 C) water
    4 T liquid starch—I use Sta-Flo
    Bring this to a boil and remove from heat.
    Add 2 more C of water and stir until clear
    When clear, add two more C of water
    Add your favorite essential oil—I use a few drops of lavendar
    Pour into your spray bottle and store any extra in fridge!

If you like it stronger add a little more liquid starch.
    Is it necessary to boil the water starch mixture?

Blog Entries
    It is not necessary to boil the starch mixture if you are going to use all of it right away. Boiling will help preserve it, though, if you are saving some in the frig for later. I have noticed that once I mix Sta-Flo with water, the mixture will develop mold if I leave it out. Refrigerating it retards the spoiling, but boiling before refrigerating would help even more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    It is not necessary to boil the starch mixture if you are going to use all of it right away. Boiling will help preserve it, though, if you are saving some in the frig for later. I have noticed that once I mix Sta-Flo with water, the mixture will develop mold if I leave it out. Refrigerating it retards the spoiling, but boiling before refrigerating would help even more.
    Thanks Prism99--I've never boiled always used fresh and have had no mold developing, but then only mix a pint at a time--maybe I use it fast enough.

Essential oil usage is so small that it is not a problem when adding it to the mix, I too like the lavender scent!

I'm having a hard time finding liquid starch. There are some good applique techniques that use liquid starch. None of my grocery stores carry it. Or Target or Walmart. Do people in Florida not use it? I use and buy spray starch all the time, but nothing in a liquid form.

Do you ever worry about bugs with starch? I heard it might attract them as it's corn based. I've always sprayed bunches on table linens, but so far no buggies.

Blog Entries
    Try requesting Sta-Flo at the customer service desk of your grocery stores. A lot of stores try to stock customer requests. Worth a try at Target and Walmart too. Our Walmart does not stock it but our Target does, as do most of the grocery stores in our area (not all).

I don't worry about bugs and starch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Yup...boiling does change the chemistry so that it deters the mold!

Blog Entries
    I've never boiled it but I've always used distilled water. Now I just cheat and buy the ready-made starch though. From the grocery store.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast