Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Spray Starch (homemade)

  1. #1
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    SPRAY STARCH

    1 qt (4 C) water
    4 T liquid starch—I use Sta-Flo
    Bring this to a boil and remove from heat.
    Add 2 more C of water and stir until clear
    When clear, add two more C of water
    Add your favorite essential oil—I use a few drops of lavendar
    Pour into your spray bottle and store any extra in fridge!

    If you like it stronger add a little more liquid starch.

  2. #2
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Would the oil leave marks?

    Is the oil optional or necessary? I don't have any.

  3. #3
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks, I may have to try that when my Mary Ellen's runs out.

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you for sharing this :D:D:D

  5. #5
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hope you do not mind me adding a recipe. I just ran out of starch mid project and hubby does not want to run out to get any. So after looking online I found some basic corn starch and water recipes but I wanted it to smell good so I did

    1 1/2 cups of water
    1/2 cup of Fabreeze
    1 tab spoon corn starch

    Mix and pour into a bottle and it works WONDERFUL!!! My squares and blocks smell so good and they are crisp

  6. #6
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    What a great tip. It will save lots of money we can use for fabric.

  7. #7
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    Thanks for the tip & I've bookmarked the recipe!!

  8. #8
    ToucanSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,163
    Thanks for this thread!!! :) Going to try the homemade version.

  9. #9
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    I used the same recipe as Frannie, but used more starch and added Febreeze later, smells great! After I wash fabrics I take them to the sink still wet and put fabrics in a bowl and ppour starch right over top, squeeze out extra and hang on clothesline until dry. The fabrics are a little stiffer whan if just sprayed on and it dries quickly on the line.

    I use a funnel to put left over starch right back in the one quart milk jug it came out of.

  10. #10
    Super Member katiebear1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    lexington ky
    Posts
    1,281
    I have been using the spray starch from the dollar store, since it is so cheap but I may have to try one of the homemade recipes

  11. #11
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Hope you do not mind me adding a recipe. I just ran out of starch mid project and hubby does not want to run out to get any. So after looking online I found some basic corn starch and water recipes but I wanted it to smell good so I did

    1 1/2 cups of water
    1/2 cup of Fabreeze
    1 tab spoon corn starch

    Mix and pour into a bottle and it works WONDERFUL!!! My squares and blocks smell so good and they are crisp
    I use 2 cups of water and a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch.
    I don't add Febreeze due to the chemical composition. If I want a light scent, sometimes I add a capful of lemon extract or almond extract or vanilla extract. It just takes a small amount. However, I usually prefer to leave it unscented.

  12. #12
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    Optional. It just makes it smell good. I put maybe one or two drops in. I think the one in the bottle that they sell at the LQS has scent too.

    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Would the oil leave marks?

    Is the oil optional or necessary? I don't have any.

  13. #13
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    Good way to do large fabric pieces.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I used the same recipe as Frannie, but used more starch and added Febreeze later, smells great! After I wash fabrics I take them to the sink still wet and put fabrics in a bowl and ppour starch right over top, squeeze out extra and hang on clothesline until dry. The fabrics are a little stiffer whan if just sprayed on and it dries quickly on the line.

    I use a funnel to put left over starch right back in the one quart milk jug it came out of.

  14. #14
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    SPRAY STARCH

    1 qt (4 C) water
    4 T liquid starch—I use Sta-Flo
    Bring this to a boil and remove from heat.
    Add 2 more C of water and stir until clear
    When clear, add two more C of water
    Add your favorite essential oil—I use a few drops of lavendar
    Pour into your spray bottle and store any extra in fridge!

    If you like it stronger add a little more liquid starch.
    Is it necessary to boil the water starch mixture?

  15. #15
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    It is not necessary to boil the starch mixture if you are going to use all of it right away. Boiling will help preserve it, though, if you are saving some in the frig for later. I have noticed that once I mix Sta-Flo with water, the mixture will develop mold if I leave it out. Refrigerating it retards the spoiling, but boiling before refrigerating would help even more.

  16. #16
    Power Poster oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    10,228
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    It is not necessary to boil the starch mixture if you are going to use all of it right away. Boiling will help preserve it, though, if you are saving some in the frig for later. I have noticed that once I mix Sta-Flo with water, the mixture will develop mold if I leave it out. Refrigerating it retards the spoiling, but boiling before refrigerating would help even more.
    Thanks Prism99--I've never boiled always used fresh and have had no mold developing, but then only mix a pint at a time--maybe I use it fast enough.

    Essential oil usage is so small that it is not a problem when adding it to the mix, I too like the lavender scent!

  17. #17
    Super Member Chele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Belle Isle, Florida
    Posts
    6,737
    I'm having a hard time finding liquid starch. There are some good applique techniques that use liquid starch. None of my grocery stores carry it. Or Target or Walmart. Do people in Florida not use it? I use and buy spray starch all the time, but nothing in a liquid form.

    Do you ever worry about bugs with starch? I heard it might attract them as it's corn based. I've always sprayed bunches on table linens, but so far no buggies.

  18. #18
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    Try requesting Sta-Flo at the customer service desk of your grocery stores. A lot of stores try to stock customer requests. Worth a try at Target and Walmart too. Our Walmart does not stock it but our Target does, as do most of the grocery stores in our area (not all).

    I don't worry about bugs and starch.

  19. #19
    Super Member walen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    It is not necessary to boil the starch mixture if you are going to use all of it right away. Boiling will help preserve it, though, if you are saving some in the frig for later. I have noticed that once I mix Sta-Flo with water, the mixture will develop mold if I leave it out. Refrigerating it retards the spoiling, but boiling before refrigerating would help even more.
    Yup...boiling does change the chemistry so that it deters the mold!

  20. #20
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've never boiled it but I've always used distilled water. Now I just cheat and buy the ready-made starch though. From the grocery store.

  21. #21
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    I'm having a hard time finding liquid starch. There are some good applique techniques that use liquid starch. None of my grocery stores carry it. Or Target or Walmart. Do people in Florida not use it? I use and buy spray starch all the time, but nothing in a liquid form.
    My Walmart has it - that is where I got mine. I am planning on beginning to starch all of my fabrics - that will be new for me... I cringe at the thought of starching all of the fabric I already own lol. Maybe one day if I have absolutely nothing to do (hmm. yeah, that will happen) But anyhoooo.... the liquid starch was right by the spray starch in the laundry detergent aisle. There were several spray cans which I won't use because they are aerosol... then there was one that was a small squirt spray bottle and then there was a larger bottle of concentrated stuff for making up your own. I went with the big bottle and bought a cute spray bottle in the garden area. Hope that helps.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    207
    The problem is I am having difficulty finding the Liquid starch in a good size container in the stores...they just don't stock it in Target, Cub, Walmart, etc., here in Minnesota. Will these recipes make a good stiff starch?

  23. #23
    Super Member Sienna's GiGi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Posts
    1,071
    You could buy Linit starch. I got three 64 oz. bottles from Amazon for under $20 with shipping and it works great. You dilute it with water and it lasts a long time too. I'm trying to figure out how I am going to get the other two bottles home because all I need on this deployment is one.

  24. #24
    Senior Member janell2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Hope you do not mind me adding a recipe. I just ran out of starch mid project and hubby does not want to run out to get any. So after looking online I found some basic corn starch and water recipes but I wanted it to smell good so I did

    1 1/2 cups of water
    1/2 cup of Fabreeze
    1 tab spoon corn starch

    Mix and pour into a bottle and it works WONDERFUL!!! My squares and blocks smell so good and they are crisp
    I use this recipe, but I cook the starch. so cook water and starch, basically bring water and starch to boil stirring constantly , then add the fabreeze after. I put a couple of marbles in the bottom of the spray bottle to help with the shaking.. It does need to be shook before you use it each time.

  25. #25
    Super Member mary quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    1,441
    thanks for all the tips

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.