Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: squaring a block

Quilters your expertise is needed:

If a pattern says the finished size of a block is 11 1/4 that is not what you square it to, right. The finshed size has the seam allowance all ready sewn. My way of thinking: Your quilt is finished, if you take a ruler and measure one of the blocks you should get 11 1/4.
    Now if that is right what would you square the (raw) block to, 11 3/4 because you need to add the 1/4 seam allowance on each side.
    Is my thought process right or is it on vacation? If not I need to get off vacation.

Banned
    Right on, Okie! Absolutely right. :D "Finished" size does not include the seam allowance.

But.. sometimes the pattern will give you a step by step finished size so is the 11 1/4" stated at the end of a step or where ever it tells you no. of blocks and finished size of block. Does that make sense? Dont know if I am saying it right.

that must be an end of a step measurement, has anyone ever heard of a finished block measurement like that? usually they're even numbers like 8" or 11" sometimes 9-1/2" but I don't think I've ever heard of one ending in 1/4 inch, but I guess it depends on the design, and the designer.

The pattern is called Playland or playmate. (Don't have it with me) The fabric is from P&B. The front of the pattern booklet says the completed size of the quilt and then says Finished block 11 1/4. I can say my blocks are bigger than that but I need to square them. The instructions do not say what to square them to. This is one of those quilts that a lady told me when you get one right you howler and dance while saying happy point, happy point. She is certainly right!

From the way that sounds, you would square it to the 11 3/4. What is your block measuring before squaring?

Another question comes to mind, when they say the size of a block, that does not include the sashing attached when assembling the quilt, right. The only pattern I ever used to do a quilt was paper piece. The pieced quilt on my alvatar was one of those "design as you go projects". Measurement was "good, it fits sort of thing".

The one I measured this morning was right at 11 3/4. What do you do if one comes short of that measurement. Make another one. I hope not. I measured and re-measured and re-measured each step before I cut so I'm hoping they are all about the same. Paper- piecing here I come.

I SHALL CONQUER!

Banned
    Okay, here's the pattern. It's called Play Date http://www.pbtex.com/PBTex_PDAT.pdf The finished block is 11" and it's a nine patch made up of three 4" squares. So, the unfinished block should measure 11". The sashing will measure 1" unfinished and 1" finished. The blocks and the sashing, before any blue is added, should measure 50" x 62". Cool pattern...Have Fun!

Okay, here's the pattern. It's called Play Date http://www.pbtex.com/PBTex_PDAT.pdf The finished block is 11" and it's a nine patch made up of three 4" squares. So, the unfinished block should measure 11". The sashing will measure 1" unfinished and 1" finished. The blocks and the sashing, before any blue is added, should measure 50" x 62". Cool pattern...Have Fun!
    I have all the blocks complete, I need to square them before I start the sashing to 11 3/4, then square again after the sashing by adding 1" per sash. then square everything without border to 50 1/2 X 62 3/4? Am I on the right track?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast