Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring up the block ... help me! >

Squaring up the block ... help me!

Squaring up the block ... help me!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 AM

I've been quilting for a little over a year now & cannot seem to "get it" relative to squaring up the blocks! I understand why all the blocks need to be the right size but mine always seem off kilter.

Do I do this with rulers? by eyeball? with spit and glue?

I just don't get this ... can someone MAJOR simplify this for me?

yarnball, feeling frustrated
Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I had that trouble at 1st too. Make sure you cut accurately and after you sew your patch together, use a square quilters ruler (I have a 12X12) and I place it on top and square it up that way.

Also be careful not to stretch the fabric while stitching and ironing.

Hope this helps?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:25 AM

Use a ruler and rotary cutter.

But don't be in a hurry to cut your blocks down. Most of the time, your blocks just need to be pressed better. If necessary, use your iron to press it firmly into shape before you resort to cutting.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 AM

You'd never know I have an accounting/stat degree with the amount of difficulty I am having with basic math & geometry!! Oh, well, I'm going to blame it on age.

How do I square up a 4x4 with a 12x12 square ruler? How do I lay it on there & get all 4 sides? See ... really basic!

yarnball, admitting to age
Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 AM

move the ruler to where the 4x4 square is in the top right corner of the ruler (if the numbers are facing the "right" way on the ruler). Put the bottom edge of your square on the 4" line down from the top of the ruler and the left side of your square on the 4" line from the right edge of the ruler. Assuming that your seam lines are straight, use another measurement line on the ruler to line up with a seam line to square up the block evenly. After you are satisfied that the edges of your block are squared (even) with the 4" lines on the ruler, then cut the right edge of your square using the rotary cutter and then the top edge of your square. Turn the square so that the freshly cut edges are even with the 4" lines on the ruler and square up the other two edges.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

Also make sure you are being consistent and accurate with your seams. Even if you are off just 1/16 inch which is barely noticeable to the eye, eventually you can end up with as much as a 1 inch difference depending on how many seams your block has.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 AM

I used to have that problem until I started setting the seams with the iron before opening them. Right after the sewing machine I press the seam and then either open it or fold towards the darker side. After that I press again. It takes a little longer to make a block, but the final size is more accurate and you will not need to worry later on about squaring it. This should work as long as your measurements were accurately done and the 1/4 seam is also very accuarte.

Maria
Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Sorry to take so long to respond to your comments. I just now got my electric back on here in Ohio after it went out Sunday evening from Ike!

I'll give your input a try tomorrow when I can get back to sewing.

Thanks,
yarnball