Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Squaring a quilt

This may be a stupid question but here goes. Has anyone ever used a carpenter's square to square a quilt once it has been quilted and before the binding has been sewn on? I'm so new at this I squeak (at least doing it right).

Quote Originally Posted by okie
    This may be a stupid question but here goes. Has anyone ever used a carpenter's square to square a quilt once it has been quilted and before the binding has been sewn on? I'm so new at this I squeak (at least doing it right).
    I usually measure/square it before an outside border goes on, then again when top is complete.

I've used the big T squares like you use for sheetrock. I always measure in at least 3 places along longest side, and square to the shortest.

Gee I have used one too. I really didn't think any one else did. who'd a thunk it :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:

The carpenter's square is also handy for cutting out large squares. I used one when I cut out 10 inch square pictures for an attic windows wall hanging I made.

I took a pattern making course (years ago) and one of the items I bought to help with the pattren making was a tailers square which was the same thing as a carpenters square, so yes a square would work for squaring quilt corners. I like it better as it will allow a longer line as you square.
    Lucy

I have an 15" X 15" square ruler that is great for making sure my quilt is squared up. I bought it at JoAnn's a few years back. It is made by Omnigrid. I also have a 8 1/2" X 24" Omnigrid that is wonderful for cutting borders, since it is 2 1/2" wider than most rulers. I got it at an Amish quilt shop in PA about 4 years ago (I know, that doesn't help any of you, does it?)