Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question >

Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question

Squaring Up Half Square Triangles - Question

Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Instead of investing in a rotating mat, just get a smaller mat that can rest on your main mat. You can still easily spin it, and it'll cost a lot less than a rotating mat. Wish I had figured that out before I bought one!

I agree, a smaller mat works just as well and is a lot less expensive. It is what I use all the time.
I square up the way Jan described. I don't have that exact ruler but I have one that is similar. I have some bloc loc rulers too but only in small sizes so they don't get used very often.
I square up like Jan and others were describing but also have a Quilt in a Day ruler for squaring up that works great too. With this ruler you don't press your HST open but rather put the marking of the ruler along the stitching line and trim the two sides. Since the HST is still folded at this point by trimming the two raw edge sides you are actually trimming all four. The ruler has markings for many size HST. If you're buying a ruler you might want to consider this one as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
In my classes I request the Bias 8 Square ruler from Martingale. I believe it to be the best square up ruler on the market and it is still the only one marked with SOLID 1/8" lines in two directions....and this allows you to sliver off the tiniest bit on all sides of a block or block section.

Here is how I use it.

Jan in VA
Wish I lived closer so I could take one of your classes. I'm always looking to improve my piecing skills. And you give such great advice here on the board.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Love it when you do a diagram. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
In my classes I request the Bias 8 Square ruler from Martingale. I believe it to be the best square up ruler on the market and it is still the only one marked with SOLID 1/8" lines in two directions....and this allows you to sliver off the tiniest bit on all sides of a block or block section.

Here is how I use it.

Jan in VA
Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Yes, I started with 5 inches thinking that if I screwed it up, I could trim them. I think I might order that ruler Jan in VA recommended. Wish I had a rotating mat!! But I have a small table I can walk around, so that will suffice. :-)
You don't have to walk around the table OR turn a mat....after trimming the right side and top,
just pick up the ruler,
take the block by the corneer you just trimmed,
turn that corner 180 degrees, (to the opposite - diagonal - corner),
and realign the ruler ON the already trimmed edges
trim the remaining two sides.
Easy Peasy!

Jan in VA
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I ..... have a Quilt in a Day ruler for squaring up that works great too. With this ruler you don't press your HST open but rather put the marking of the ruler along the stitching line and trim the two sides. Since the HST is still folded at this point by trimming the two raw edge sides you are actually trimming all four. ......
I'll tell you why I don't care for rulers like this for squaring up HSTs, especially in beginning classes.
When HSTs are pressed open, it's nearly impossible NOT to make that diagonal seam do something slightly wonky which will distort the block. The smaller the HST, the more likely you are to distort it. (This is true for seaming narrow or small things, too; the less width you have, the fewer threads you have to 'hide' slight errors.)

After 30 years of teaching, I've gotten settled in my choices of tools, in many cases. The Bias 8 ruler was not designed necessarily for this squaring up use. it was meant for cutting HSTs from two strips sewn together. Of course, THAT makes all the sides be on the bias, which drives me absolutely nutty in classes -- my focus is on teaching ways to make things easier for beginners, not giving techniques that are open for frustrations! And bias is a frustration for many beginners! Why use those bias edges when it's just as easy not to?!

Any way, I've been after Martingale to make this Bias group of rulers in a 12" size to be used like I suggest; it will work for all blocks, not just HST, etc. So those of you who have it, and are wise enough to train yourself to use it often (like in EVERY block as I do ), write to Martingale to ask for them to make us a 12" Bias Ruler WITH THE SAME MARKINGS as the Bias 4,6, and 8"!!

I keep waiting!

Jan in VA
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Early on in my quilting, I bought the June Tailor HST QST ruler from Joanns, which works well for simpletons like me who often have problems with visual cues - you can easily see if you are centered properly for both cuts and whether your blocfk is a bit short of the mark. However, if you are doing non-standard sizes, it looks like the Martingale is a good bet. I have seen the block-lok's but I don't know if that little lip thing is worth the dough.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 AM

I use the Quilt In A Day ruler and love it. No problems at all.
You put the size on the sewing line so it comes out perfect.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-uncut-2-tri.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I trim after I have pressed & starched them so they will square up nicely. Thanks for the tip on the ruler Jan. So many options out there for acrylic rulers.