Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making half square triangles question >

Making half square triangles question

Making half square triangles question

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Default Making half square triangles question

I have tried several ways on making 1/2 square triangles. Why do most of the helps like Thangles, Easy Angle & Tiger tape say to add 1/2" to strip measurement before cutting out? Then they come out too large, all have to be trimmed down. Isn't that a lot of extra work? I have used the Angler 2 in the past, that fits on the bed of my machine, and had fairly good luck but just wondering about trying one of these other methods. What is the method you use or what works best for you. Just curious. Appreciate your help.

Carol
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM

When I do HST's I add a full inch to the FINISHED size of square that I want (i.e., 3.5" finished HST block gets CUT at 4.5"). I lay the two squares right sides together, draw a diagonal line down the center of the square and sew 1/4" on either side. Cut; press. Yes, I have to trim them down but whether it's my sewing that is not accurate or my initial cutting that is not accurate, I get a very accurate HST with this method. I've never had luck with Thangles and haven't tried the other methods that you mention. I place my 45 degree line on the sewn center line of the HST and trim to the correct size from that measurement. It's a very tedious process to be sure but it's the one that works best for me. But it was a good excuse to buy a rotating cutting mat!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Depends on how many I need. If I need a lot, I use the grid method. I draw my grid size 1" larger than my finished HST and trim down to size after sewing. This ensures the most accurate units. Very similar to NJ quilters method only I make multiples at one shot, not just two at a time. If I only need a few I do NJ Quilters method or use a strip. I have also done many HST as leader ender project using scraps from FG blocks which I make using a square and a rectangle.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

When you sew HSTs, you are sewing on the bias. If you are really careful not to tug your fabric and your machine feeds the fabric really well, then you can just use an easy angle ruler (which in effect trims one point) or add 7/8" to the finished size and cut 2 squares and use your angler or tiger tape. Also you have to be a perfect presser.
No trimming needed!
Most of us are not that good , so we add a fudge factor, then trim. I use BlocLoc rulers and find the additional trim step well worth the effort for perfectly matching points.
If you are happy with the way your triangles come out without trimming, then go for it! There are dozens of methods and tools for making HSTs. Experiment a bit and find the one you like best. It's all personal preference.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:17 AM

I love, love Triangulations. It's a software that prints out a paper sheet that will make many, many at a time and they are perfect. No trimming needed. You put your two fabrics, right sides together, lay the printed paper (I use doodle pads, very easy to tear off) on top and pin, then sew. There is also some free online you can use to print out the grid. Most of the basic sizes. Depending on size you can make 24 at a time, but they are the same. I am a scrappy girl so I handled this by organizing a swap for 2" hst, saving 6 for myself I traded the others, making many sets with different fabrics. I have a postage box full of 2" hst after making an Ocean Waves which used 4,000 of them. I am now making 2 1/2" hst for a split nine patch and I am making them with the Easy Angle ruler by Sharon Hulgren. It has that 1/4" built in and works well, but they need to be trimmed. Those that don't make the cut go in the 2" hst box. I try and cut them a bit larger and I'm not losing too many of them. I think Triangulations is the way to go tho.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Even if you are not into special rulers, The Bloc- Loc HST ruler is amazing and worth having in your collection of useful tools. I was pretty good at making HSTs before I got this ruler and now my HSTs are perfect even if I do say so myself. This one ruler made a significant difference in my piecing.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Even if you are not into special rulers, The Bloc- Loc HST ruler is amazing and worth having in your collection of useful tools. I was pretty good at making HSTs before I got this ruler and now my HSTs are perfect even if I do say so myself. This one ruler made a significant difference in my piecing.

Here is a sample of the results when using the Bloc Loc HST Ruler:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t230816.html

As far as HSTs being oversized and trimming them down, it is the usual method so that they are the correct size. When working with bias edges some distortion may stretch the fabric so making them a little bgger and trimming to size helps with accuracy.
peace

EDIT: There are lots of needs when it comes to making HSTs. If you need a lot of one kind of HST in the same color the strip method or triangulations is a great way to get alot of the same HST.

If you like scrappy quilts and are making alot of different ( fabric) HSTs then one of the other methods works great. Use the method that suits the project. I make a lot of single HSTS for scrappy quilts so the Bloc Loc works great for me.

Also, I double starch my fabrics so they are almost like stiff paper. It helps to control the bias edge.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 04-01-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

There are many methods to making HST. I like Thangles when I am doing a scrappy look. I don't mind making them bigger because I starch them and then press them with steam. I like the final cut because then I know they are accurate and go immediately up on the design wall. What is most important is WHAT WORKS for YOU !!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM

When I used thangles I didn't have to cut down the finished squares. But I prefer to just make them bigger and cut them down anyway.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
When I do HST's I add a full inch to the FINISHED size of square that I want (i.e., 3.5" finished HST block gets CUT at 4.5"). I lay the two squares right sides together, draw a diagonal line down the center of the square and sew 1/4" on either side. Cut; press. Yes, I have to trim them down but whether it's my sewing that is not accurate or my initial cutting that is not accurate, I get a very accurate HST with this method. I've never had luck with Thangles and haven't tried the other methods that you mention. I place my 45 degree line on the sewn center line of the HST and trim to the correct size from that measurement. It's a very tedious process to be sure but it's the one that works best for me. But it was a good excuse to buy a rotating cutting mat!
That's what I do!!!!!!! MUCH easier and cheaper than buying all those things.