Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stack & cut? What is the pattern?

Stack & cut? What is the pattern?

Years ago I used directions where you stack up five squares of different colors, then made a random cut across the pile, move one piece to the bottom of the stack, then sewed each of the resulting blocks back together with new pieces. Then cut across again, and so forth. Does this make sense? Were there seven not five? I tried it recently and the combination didn't work out. I've looked up "stack and slash" but can't find it anywhere. As I recall, you should end up with five blocks with each of the colors somewhere in them. Do this several times to have enough for a small quilt.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I made a quilt with a similar method by Buggy Barn Quilts...but it actually made something..I think mine was trucks.
    I doubt you mean stack and wack....but you can look that up.

No, "stack 'n whack" is Bethany Reynolds' method for making kaleidoscopes.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

It sounds like one I've made several times that uses 12 fat quarters cut into 18" squares or just cut 18" squares of fabric. The hardest part is cutting through 12 layers but with a new blade in the rotary cutter it probably wouldn't be so hard. It was posted on the QB by fromthenesdesigns on 07-06-2010. I don't know how to link to that but I'm sure you can find it with a search. I hope it's the one you mean.

I think this is the one: Chop and Sew

Chop and Sew
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Any number would work. It just depends on how many times you wack it. Layers should equal wacks, then you will end up with no repeats within your block.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Yes, Chop & Sew is the one I meant but I forgot to put the name in. You don't really have to cut it as many times as the number of blocks. The pattern says 4 to 5 cuts until you like the way your blocks look. I only cut four or five but the picture on the pattern shows 12 cuts!

Power Poster
    I have heard something similar called Magic Tiles?

Missouri Star Quilt Company has tutorial for this.

I have a book I think called Crazy Eights where you take 8 eight inch squares and cut like you said, in the morning I will double check the name of book, I made my daughter a tree squirt with that method.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast