Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stack & cut? What is the pattern?

Stack & cut? What is the pattern?

Years ago I used directions where you stack up five squares of different colors, then made a random cut across the pile, move one piece to the bottom of the stack, then sewed each of the resulting blocks back together with new pieces. Then cut across again, and so forth. Does this make sense? Were there seven not five? I tried it recently and the combination didn't work out. I've looked up "stack and slash" but can't find it anywhere. As I recall, you should end up with five blocks with each of the colors somewhere in them. Do this several times to have enough for a small quilt.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I made a quilt with a similar method by Buggy Barn Quilts...but it actually made something..I think mine was trucks.
    I doubt you mean stack and wack....but you can look that up.

No, "stack 'n whack" is Bethany Reynolds' method for making kaleidoscopes.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

It sounds like one I've made several times that uses 12 fat quarters cut into 18" squares or just cut 18" squares of fabric. The hardest part is cutting through 12 layers but with a new blade in the rotary cutter it probably wouldn't be so hard. It was posted on the QB by fromthenesdesigns on 07-06-2010. I don't know how to link to that but I'm sure you can find it with a search. I hope it's the one you mean.

I think this is the one: Chop and Sew

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ew-t53226.html
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Any number would work. It just depends on how many times you wack it. Layers should equal wacks, then you will end up with no repeats within your block.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Yes, Chop & Sew is the one I meant but I forgot to put the name in. You don't really have to cut it as many times as the number of blocks. The pattern says 4 to 5 cuts until you like the way your blocks look. I only cut four or five but the picture on the pattern shows 12 cuts!

Power Poster
    I have heard something similar called Magic Tiles?

Missouri Star Quilt Company has tutorial for this.

I have a book I think called Crazy Eights where you take 8 eight inch squares and cut like you said, in the morning I will double check the name of book, I made my daughter a tree squirt with that method.

the member is fromthenestdesign. It is called chop and sew and is a PDF posted on 7/6/2010. I tried to find it from the G.Bonnie reference but the name was missing 1 letter. I think this is one I have wanted to try also.

OK, I just tried "stack and slash" in a different search engine and I found a couple of patterns that are similar.
    http://thematerialgirlsquilts.blogsp...-tutorial.html

http://www.craftown.com/Slash-Your-Stash-Quilt.html

http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-qui...oes-Quilt.aspx

Thank you all. I think the trick that I missed when I tried it, is that the first cut you move one piece to the bottom, second cut you move two, and so on to end up with all different fabrics, depending on how many you start with.

i did a table runner from a magazine years ago----
    9 6x6 squares all backed with double sided fuse able
    stack them--2 wavey cuts left to right--2 wavey cuts top to bottom[9pieces each square]
    cut 9 muslin squares 6x6 lay them out--place a piece of the top square -- in a different spot on each backing square fuse them --follow down the stack--cover joins with bias[as in celtic work]
    join squares +bind--i did all blues

I've made this one twice and I love it. It is sooo easy.
    http://chasingcottons.blogspot.com/2...h-kate_12.html

I did one cutting the squares five times - called Syncopations

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    I think this is the one: Chop and Sew

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ew-t53226.html
    thanks for posting that link!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I plan to make one of these--as soon as I get all the Christmas quilts done.

I think that Fons and Porter has one called Crazy 9 Patch. It uses a layer of 9 squares.

The one I made is a 12 inch block of material and the pattern is traced on freezer paper, Kwick Krazy Quilt. Then one piece of the number one pile goes to the bottom then 2 from the number 2 piece , etc.
    http://www.twokwikquilters.net/
    Cris

I think it was called Stack the Deck. As I remember there were a couple of books by that title. You could probably find them at Amazon still. Not sure, but I think you made all your cuts first then took one from top and moved to the bottom. It was five fabrics and cut in five pieces I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckySt View Post
    I have a book I think called Crazy Eights where you take 8 eight inch squares and cut like you said, in the morning I will double check the name of book, I made my daughter a tree squirt with that method.
    The book is called Crazy 8's by Four Corners Designs. Fast and easy quilt to make. Have used the blocks in borders also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    I think it was called Stack the Deck. As I remember there were a couple of books by that title. You could probably find them at Amazon still. Not sure, but I think you made all your cuts first then took one from top and moved to the bottom. It was five fabrics and cut in five pieces I think.
    The books are by Karla Alexander. I have used her ideas many times for quick quilts for Linus.

I have used a pattern called Kwik Krazy Quilt. I googled it and found this link to the authors. They sell wholesale but have listed places where you can get the pattern. The quilt shown on this page is the one shown on the front of the pattern I used, too. They are fun to make.

http://www.twokwikquilters.net/
    Pat

I use this method with 4 colors and make wonderful place mats & it goes pretty fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast