Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Star Quilting Thread?? >

Star Quilting Thread??

Star Quilting Thread??

Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 AM

Default Star Quilting Thread??

I was gifted 5 spools (old, wooden) of Star Quilting Thread by American Thread. (price 35 cents each!). I tested the thread and it is still strong.

I tested it on my DSM that I use to FMQ. I used the Star thread in the top and regular thread in the bottom. I quilted a small sandwich and it seemed to work fine. But the thread is so thick and rigid, very different from what I'm used it. Is this thread ok to use in my DSM?

I hesitate to use it on a real project before I hear back from the experts. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

If it says it is ( hand quilting) thread it should not be used in a machine, those have a wax coating. If it is simply a heavy weight thread it is OK to use. Is there any weight info on the spool ends? It might just be heavy, strong, utility thread. Often used to stitch heavy projects ( Denim jeans....) As long as it is not waxed it is fine to use in your machine for whatever you want to use it for.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 AM

It doesn't say "hand quilting" but it doesn't say much. It says "Star Quilting Sewing Thread" "American Thread 35 cents" on on end and "250 yds Star Quilting" and the color number on the other end.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I keep my hand quilting thread separate from my other threads. I don't have much of it but don't want it mixed up with my machine threads.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM

I don't hand quilt so if that's what this particular thread is for, I should pass it on. I just don't know, the label is not very helpful.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

If the thread feels coated, don't use it in the machine. I think back when wooden spools were used, quilting thread meant handquilting.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:01 AM

I have several spools of STAR thread. On one end it says Coats & Clark, size 50 Mercerized Cotton, Machine Quilting & Craft. I picked it up during a sale at a variety store well known for it's quilting supplies, and these spools are wooden. Although I have not broken the wrapping and used it yet, I did read testimonials regarding STAR thread. Try googling "STAR quilting thread reviews" or something similar. Usually the less you say in a search, the better chance of finding information.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 AM

I found several spools at a yard sale for 0.25 each and bought it. I haven't been very impressed with it in a quilting setting but regular sewing projects - potholders, pincushions, casserole carriers - it has worked just fine.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I use Star quilting thread from C&C but it is the regular 50wt. It handles really nicely. The one thing I have to remember is that the core of the spool has a really large hole and I need to put in a wooden spool adapter.

Sounds like yours might be a different Start thread if it is really thick and coarse.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Some history on the American Thread Company.

http://www.textilehistory.org/AmericanThread.html

When I was growing up in CT, the Willimantic plant was still in operation. I still have lots of their books, yarns, and tons of their thread, but none of it says quilting thread. I use what I have for piecing with no hesitation at all.

C&C (who separately were part of American Thread) has recently reintroduced Star thread for quilting, but at 50 wt, it sounds much thinner than the vintage spool you have. The new stuff is nice, a mercerized long staple Egyptian cotton thread. I like it a lot and it's not as linty as some Coats threads. I digress.

How far into the spool did you go? Does the thread perhaps soften up after the first two or three 'aged' layers?