Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
STAR Quilt Help with decided on quilting thread color PICS >

STAR Quilt Help with decided on quilting thread color PICS

STAR Quilt Help with decided on quilting thread color PICS

Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Hello,

Ive been having some trouble deciding on a color to quilt with. I just have so many colors its hard to get a color that will blend with everything. I want to use cotton since the rest of my qyult and batting is in cotton. I want the thread to show up but not scream. I have tried corn silk by connecting threads on some of it as well as a clear thread. The corn silk is just really screaming on the red and the clear didnt show as much as I would like. Im doing an all over quilting pattern by machine called Baptist fans.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but I want it to blend more if it can. I also dont think Im open to switching colors all the time.

Im on a college student budget so I can spend more than 7 a spool. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]183068[/ATTACH]

quilting from a distance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183069[/ATTACH]

close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183070[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183062.jpe   attachment-183063.jpe   attachment-183064.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Did you make this one instead of the turtle? Gosh it turned out pretty! very traditional colors. I think if you just keep going the lines won't scream. To me they don't now.
The lone star is notorious for having so many bands of color! My opinion is just keep going and remember how close up you are to it but overall it will be fine!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
e4

I really don't see a problem with the color at all. It's a little hard to tell, but it does look like maybe you have a tension issue and your bobbin thread is showing up on top sometimes (usually means top tension is too tight), which creates a little bit of color effect you may not want.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful Lonestar! I would also check my tension.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 AM
MTS
Banned

Did you pick the corn silk because of the color of your backing?
I think it would be fine as you said you don't want to change thread colors. It floats on the blue and isn't really popping out - which I think is a good thing. I'm not a fan of thread showing on background fabrics (but that's just me). I think the corn silk will give the blue a nice sheen.

That said, I don't think the problem is the thread color. I think you really need to pull out all the stitching you've done already and solve the tension problems that were mentioned by previous posters.

The good news is that it shouldn't be that much of a hassle - clip a stitch at each end of a fan row on the front and pull the thread. It should come straight out, and the back thread should also just pull out. There's nothing really holding it there as the tension is so loose.

Make a sandwich and figure out what the problem is. Are you FMQ-ing the fans, or using a walking foot?
I would suggest the walking foot. Yes, a lot of stopping and turning, but your stitches will then sink into the quilt top (instead of laying on top of them), and will be much less noticeable.

Also, you might want to mark some lines, or at least use the walking foot to gauge distances so the Bfans can be more consistent. If you're comfortable enough with FMQ-ing, I'd still mark some of the lines.

I think all the above will totally minimize a lot of the visual issues you have with color of the thread.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 AM

It is going to be gorgeous..love the colors.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

Stunning quilt!! :D:D
Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 AM

Beautiful quilt and I would also check my tension issues. As far as the thread goes have you taken your quilt to a shop and looked at the colors that might be more pleasing to you? Sometimes it's just hard to imagine without the quilt and thread together. Have you thought about variegated thread and looked at those choices? You are doing very well on your quilting but MTS does give you some great ideas to help. Your piecing is really great. If you're not marking your quilting lines it might help you resolve the uneven areas. Bottom line though it is truly is a beautiful quilt! :-D