Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starch method of applique >

starch method of applique

starch method of applique

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Default starch method of applique

what is the starch method of applique? I have never heard of this term before. It sounds interesting as my next project is applique.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure others will describe it better, and there are undoubtedly other ways of doing it too. This is the way I tried out the technique.

Basically you cut a template out of heat-resistant plastic, cut the fabric larger than the template and clip any inner curves, place the fabric under the template on a piece of aluminum foil, use a small paintbrush to saturate the edges of the fabric, fold up the aluminum foil around the edges, then iron on top of the foil on both sides and allow to dry thoroughly. Can re-use template and foil.

This was an extremely slow and tedious method of applique for me, so I only tested it out and then went back to my usual freezer paper method of doing machine applique. This is the method Harriet Hargrave explains in her books, although I prefer to use paper paste instead of glue sticks.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Lynn, the Alamosa Quilter, has a tutorial on her blog:
http://alamosaquilter.blogspot.com/2...que-photo.html

I haven't done this yet ..... let us know how it goes if you use her tutorial.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I tried something similar to the method in the linked tutorial too. The problem I had with that method was always burning my fingers! I'm fairly clumsy, so others with better coordination may fare better than I did.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-22-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM

thank you, not sure I will use that method
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

This article also shows some ways to use starch in turned edge applique. http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...Prep__D48.html As with most things in quilting, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I'm sure others will describe it better, and there are undoubtedly other ways of doing it too. This is the way I tried out the technique.

Basically you cut a template out of heat-resistant plastic, cut the fabric larger than the template and clip any inner curves, place the fabric under the template on a piece of aluminum foil, use a small paintbrush to saturate the edges of the fabric, fold up the aluminum foil around the edges, then iron on top of the foil on both sides and allow to dry thoroughly. Can re-use template and foil.

This was an extremely slow and tedious method of applique for me, so I only tested it out and then went back to my usual freezer paper method of doing machine applique. This is the method Harriet Hargrave explains in her books, although I prefer to use paper paste instead of glue sticks.
This how I do it, but don't use the foil. After you do it awhile, you learn how not to burn your fingers!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
This is sort of how I do it, too, although not with the foil. I'm not sure what the reason is for using foil...?

Here is a very clearly illustrated and well-written step-by-step demonstration. I basically learned how to prepare my appliques from this post.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...ng-shapes.html
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

when doing my dear jane blocks, there are many small melons required. i cut freezer paper melons and iron them to the fabric, cut them allowing a scant 1/4" seam allowance. then i paint the edges with half staflo and half water mixture. then i iron the starch dry and remove the freezer paper. now they are ready to applique to the background. to me, it works great.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Lynn, the Alamosa Quilter, has a tutorial on her blog:
http://alamosaquilter.blogspot.com/2...que-photo.html

I haven't done this yet ..... let us know how it goes if you use her tutorial.
I have been using this method for my Affairs of the Heart Quilt. Although it takes some time, I found it great. I use a clover mini iron, otherwise I burn my fingers I have used only Batiks in my quilt so I haven't found the need to clip my curves, they sit nicely. Also if your pattern has a lot of circles I highly recommend getting a set of Perfect Circles http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...y__d81770.html as I could never cut a perfect circle.
I stitch down my applique with silk thread which just disappears into the fabric and is lovely to use.