Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starch method of applique >

starch method of applique

starch method of applique

Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Piece O Cake website has several videos showing how she does needle turn appliqué. They are very informative even if you use another method. I have used the same method as QuiltnNan, and it works great. The only difference is that I use Mylar Plastic Template sheets. The other thing I do is run a basting thread around the circles and draw it up with the template inside. Makes a perfect circle every time. Applique isn't a speedy technique, but so beautiful, I enjoy working on it.
Sue
Old 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM

The only addition I have to the process is I use a stiletto in one hand and the clover iron in the other to turn and press the edges over the template. I do like this process. I sit at the kitchen table with a small shaping board, my pieces and the templates. Once a bunch of the shapes are made they can be stitched to the background. You are right, applique is not a speedy process! One just has to figure out the process that works for them.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM

I use QuiltnNan's method. Like Nannie to 7, I use a Clover iron and a stiletto. I really enjoy this method for my appliqué. I use tiny dots of Elmer's washable school glue to hold my appliqué in place until I can hand stitch it with silk thread.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:04 AM

I have never heard of using aluminium foil for templates in UK we use freezer paper which with a warm iron b will stick to the fabric while you put starch on the edge. These shapes will stick a number of times after removal.
My friend uses aluminium foil to wrap her cut pieces in. She usually sorts them as well, it stops fraying. Looks like a lovely lunch on her table.