Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch >

Starch

Starch

Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I just saw another thread on Niagara non-aerosol starch and she said it doesn't flake. I bought some the other day at Kroger but haven't used it yet.
I use Niagra aersol kind and I find if I let the starch sit for about 10 to 15 seconds before ironing (so it can soak into the fabric), I very rarely get flaking. If I do get flaking, it's nothing I can't brush off.

Rachel
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

i spray both sides but iron (excuuuuuuuuse me ... i mean press :lol: ) on the back
Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 PM

I starch the right side of my fabric.I never thought about the wrong side I still starch my pillow cases.That is how Istarted out starching and ironing and no one ever said anything about the wrong side :-D
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 PM

there is a wrong side?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Both sides... but after reading this I think I figured out why I get flakes... I spray and press .. sounds like I need to wait a bit before pressing :oops: LOL
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM

I'm confused. Are you starching all the material before you cut out with templates, rotary cutting or strip piecing?? Always or with just some materials??
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

It's an individual decision.

I don't starch before rotary cutting because I don't pre-wash fabrics. There is enough starch in unwashed fabric to keep my cuts accurate. However, if I do have to prewash a fabric for any reason, I starch and iron it to restore stability.

Many people spray starch but I have always had problems with overspray and scorching, so I developed my own method for starching yardage. I mix up a solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" it on the fabric with a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss the fabric in the dryer, then iron with steam.

For a fabric I want to use for backing a quilt, I always do the above with a heavy starch solution (1:1). If I am just restoring stability after prewashing a "bleeder" fabric, I use more like a 1:3 solution (Sta-Flo:water).
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lori L
I'm confused. Are you starching all the material before you cut out with templates, rotary cutting or strip piecing?? Always or with just some materials??
My rule with starch is, if I want to get rid of wrinkles or have a sharp seam, I will starch. I don’t starch on every project or every step of the way, but the more precise and crisp I want something, the more often I starch. There really is no right or wrong to starching, if you think you need it, use it! :) I have never had it gunk up my iron because I just do a light spray of starch and I let it site for 10 seconds before ironing.

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm old fashioned, I still "iron" as well as the pressing I do with my piecing. For ironed items, spray well with whatever starch you like, (I like Niagara), roll the item tightly and stick it in the freeaer until ready to iron. Ironing is a snap, fast and srinkle free in minutes. It also works well for pressing fabrics (only I use Mary Ellen's for this). I do this on my new fabrics since I drop them off in the laundry room before they get to my studio. That way, they're always ready when I am. I used Mary Ellens at my machine side ironing area to get those good set seams as I sew.