Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starching fabric how and when >

Starching fabric how and when

Starching fabric how and when

Old 10-08-2016, 06:07 PM

I, too, use the Sta-flo liquid starch mixed at a 50/50 ratio into a spray bottle. I usually spray my yardage after pre-washing prior to use. I tend to also re-spray sub-cuts since I tend to sew in fits and starts. If I'm dealing with pieces or blocks with bias edges, I'll spray some more. Once I've finished quilting I wash my quilts so I'm not concerned with any leftover starch/scents.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 PM

I found 2 recipes that work well.

First one: Mix together 2 ½ cups of tap water and 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch in a saucepan (make sure there are no lumps).
Bring the mixture to a boil for 1 minute then cool to room temperature.
Fill a spray bottle. Store in the refrigerator.

When you bring it to a boil, the starch stays suspended and works perfectly: no shaking, no clogging, and nicely starched fabric!

Second one: Mix one part vodka to two parts water in a spray bottle (I use 1/3 cup vodka and 2/3 cup water).
Shake to combine.

The first recipe gives you a cloudy starch, the second one gives you a clear starch.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 PM

I use Terial Magic
Old 10-08-2016, 07:25 PM

I use spray starch - sometimes it is an aerosol and sometimes it is in a spray bottle. It depends on what I can find when I go to buy it. The fabric is washed when it comes into the house, so it gets ironed and starched when I am set to use the fabric. Otherwise it will have to be ironed again when I get ready to use it, and I do not like to iron when I don't have to.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 PM

I've used all the aforementioned methods, minus the vodka one. I reserve that for drinking when quilting isn't going right. Haha.

The two brands I've liked best are Faultless Premium spray starch , which I can find just about anywhere, and Niagara non-aerosol, which I haven't always been able to find easily.

I spray the back of the fabric. The fibers absorb the starch better. I then fold the fabric and sort of tap the starch into the fabric more. Then I set it aside and do the next piece the same way.

To make it easy, i only cut and starch the amount I need to work with, generally a quarter to half a yard. Starch them in the order I'm going to use them (roughly, if I know) so that by the time I've starched the last one, the first one is good and ready to be ironed. I then drape them over a quilt rack bar to keep them from re-wrinkling.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:43 AM

Thanks to all of you for your answers!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 AM

First, let me state, I do not starch, nor do I pre wash my fabric. I have not had any problems piecing righ off the bolt, so to speak. If there have been problems, they have been my carelessness, not because the fabric wasn't "stiff" enough. Btw...I have been doing this for a very long time....
But, my question....one poster stated, wash, starch, rebolt and store in totes....isn't starch a food source for tiny critters...that was my first thought to that statement...unless, maybe now starch is not made from natural ingredients, thus eliminating that possibility.....just wondered....
Old 10-09-2016, 04:22 AM

I use the premium spray starch from the grocery store--any brand. Pre washed fabric is folded and stored until use. Once fabrics are selected for use, I spray the backside of all of them with starch, let than sit for 5-10 minutes to absorb in, then iron all fabrics and fan fold them. Then they are all ready for the cutting board!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

What is sizing that the manufacurers put on some fabrics made of?

I' ve had some plain water get Very cloudy/ murky from some "off-the-bolt" fabrics.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:44 AM

Prism99, thank you for describing your process in detail. Maybe a silly question, but what is the advantage of having a stiffer applique piece? Does it stay in place better?

Peckish, thanks for explaining about the Best Press actually being a type of starch.