Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a Business??? >

Starting a Business???

Starting a Business???

Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Ok, I'm making quilts, took classes from Sharon Shamber & have bought dozens of books, DVDs, patterns for Long Arm quilting. I do home machine quilting now. I'd like to go into business, as I've noticed a need in my area, and I'm needing to 'work from home'. Is there any advice out there for me? Best sites for buying batting, color threads, lg.background fabrics? Reason you choose what you have for these? And if possible, advice... even pricing. I now my area will not hold prices to those found in big cities and larger states.

NEXT: I'm also considering Professional Custom order Embroidery, as I do a lot of these projects and am always being asked to please make me this or that, I'll pay you.
Well, I'm also looking at buying a professional multi needle machine. I think I'll have the business of a company needing 'work' items decal for their employees.
Is there any advice? Pricing?

If you where to choose one or the other, long arm quilting or custom embroidery for a business. Which do you think would be more profitable, successful, worth the investment? Would you attempt both? I have no one at home, plenty of room, children are grown & gone, and I'm still 'young' enough to work long hours.
Please Help, your advice is needed.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM

The best place for batting I've found is Joann's. In fact, I ordered another roll of Warm and Natural from their site today (90" wide x 40 yards); it's all I use in my quilts and my customers' quilts. They had a 50% coupon code that expired today, which is the reason I deal only with them when it comes to batting. For thread, the best top thread is King Tut, although I have used Essentials from Connecting Threads as well. The best bobbin thread is Bottom Line by Superior. I've also used the Essentials Pro from Connecting Threads in my bobbins, but find that it doesn't go nearly as far as Bottom Line, so I don't really end up saving any money.

Good luck with your new venture!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM

I order batting and many other quilting supplies from Kingsmen. They have the best prices I've found and their customer service is great. Check them out. Can't advise on whether quilting or embroidery is more profitable. I do longarm quilting. I know people who do both and if you have the time and energy then go for it. Best of luck in whatever you choose.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
The best place for batting I've found is Joann's. In fact, I ordered another roll of Warm and Natural from their site today (90" wide x 40 yards); it's all I use in my quilts and my customers' quilts. They had a 50% coupon code that expired today, which is the reason I deal only with them when it comes to batting. For thread, the best top thread is King Tut, although I have used Essentials from Connecting Threads as well. The best bobbin thread is Bottom Line by Superior. I've also used the Essentials Pro from Connecting Threads in my bobbins, but find that it doesn't go nearly as far as Bottom Line, so I don't really end up saving any money.

Good luck with your new venture!
A lot of good information here, thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 06:23 AM

Good luck with your new adventure. Just a suggestion: talk to someone in your area-around here it's called the Small Business Association (or something like that) and they can give you so much info on home-business rules. There are a lot of things you HAVE to do to run a home business. DH lost his job 2 yrs ago and started a consulting business from home. There are requirements for access (if you have customers coming in), taxes (different for home businesses) and lots of things we wouldn't have thought of. They can also advise you of loans, group purchasing, etc.
It will be exciting and challenging but if this is what you want--you go, girl!! It's really worked out well for DH except for the "downtimes" when you have no customers or income for awhile. Plan for that, too.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM

Do you have a quilt shop nearby that would allow you to leave brochures? If so, I would take pictures of some of your work and create a pamphlet to get your name out there. Sounds like an exciting new venture! If you could offer both services without too large an investment, I would go for it.
Good luck!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Well, too me, they BOTH sound like lots of fun! Whatever you decide, you will do great! Good luck!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:24 AM

You can also leave samples of your work. I left one of my quilts showing my quilting, with a business card attached to the front. You can get free business cards (just pay shipping) at http://www.vistaprint.com.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 AM

When you are serious about going into business, find out what your state requires to set up a business. Do you need a state business tax i.d number? A county merchant sales tax number? Will you need to pay business personal property tax on you machines, templetes, rulers, patterns? These answers may decide for you if you can buy batting, and thread wholesale or if you will need to purchase at retail.

Here in Missouri, I am required to have a state tax i.d and a county license. But I can buy wholesale batting with my state tax number, so I go to a wholesale merchant to purchase batting, (Hobbs Bonded Fibers, in Waco, Tx) This way I can recoup my expense for the batting plus a profit because I sell at a price very close to the local stores as I don't want to be in competion with them over batting.

I also carry business insurance to protact me, my machines, inventory and customer quilts, etc.

When it comes to pricing, I try to price close to the going rate in my area. I don't want to be too low nor do I want to be too high, but I need to price to make a profit for my time, insurance , license, taxes, etc.

I do not take classes so I do not have to try to recoup my expense for these. I find that these classes get very expenses. I'm not saying they would not be worth it because the teachers are very skilled and willing to share their knowledge, but I quilt for people that probably will never enter a quilt in a large show, so I just don't spend the big bucks on classes.

I'm sure I'll think of something else. But I encourage to do your "homework", then jump in with both feet and enjoy the quilting process!!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 PM

I've been in business before, mainly selling for home party plans. Then my husband was in business for 18 yrs self employed with a steel building construction company. And we ran it from a home office.
I registered my trade name...what do you ladies think of this "Stitchabilities"? Hoped it would cover custom embroidery stitch work, and finish quilting stitch work.
Then I do have to have licenses and I can buy wholesale, got that part covered. Thank you.
And I do know about Vistaprint, used them for years, great place.
I have a daughter who went to college for photography who can take "professional" pictures for a brochure.
And a daughter who went to college as a marketing major, works for a major natl. firm, but can do things for 'mom' without conflict, she'll help me design marketing.
I'm hoping the quilt shops I've bought from before help by allowing a demo piece, I'll do one made from fabric from their store, maybe that will help get one 'hung' in their store with my info.
I plan to do a lot of charity projects to also get my name out there, from the Cancer walk to humane society, etc.
Then I have some friends, I said I'd do a quilt for them for cost of batting/backing only, then they can refer my work...word of mouth is the best advert.
Insurance was something I thought of for my home, machines, but I'll add for my customer's quilts, good idea.
I also was told to do a customer contract, firm pricing, firm decision by customer to design (pantos, computerized) I won't be doing free style except my own competition quilts, that's too time consuming and eats profit, and risky if they like your work or not. If they enter a contest and don't win because of my quilt work, they'll be very upset, so just won't even go there.
I've heard to hang the quilt where the customer can see it coming in, on display. To always compliment something sincerely, even with really poor workmanship on their part.
And to turn down any job I'm not comfortable with..very off square that I can't fix, just turn it away.
Thank you for the ideas on wholesale and threads you use.
NOW, if I can only make up my mind on machines and both or one business idea. I have a full scale business plan, but hubby said in 3 yrs, waiting to see how the economy goes. Then out of the blue he suggests I buy before end of this year, and start at least this part (machines)and see what can build before we decide to jump into a full store business. So, I'm not prepared, and don't want to make mistakes with a short notice here.

Do you ladies buy lots of patterns? Do computer designed quilts or free motion? Can I ask you to PM me about your prices and state your in? I know not to undercut, and not to be the highest, but to be the upper half on pricing. Make the customer believe you'll do a step better than the bottom dollar. Even a beginner's first quilt, they take pride in all their work and want a nice job done on quilting it also. Never downgrade my work because I don't feel a quilt is 'nice enough', but treat each quilt special and do my best work.
I've been a volunteer of 40-60 hrs/wk for 24 yrs. I think I'm pretty dedicated to work those hours for free, and I feel I'm pretty good with people, very friendly. I've also worked a Natl. & County Gov jobs along with home party shows for many yrs, again, have to be good with people.
And then my husband's business taught us a lot. He got out when we lost our son (father/son business dream). But our worst trial was good employee's and getting paid final on jobs. They always have to make the down payment, then instalments at stages of the job, but final payment, often they have a new pick up or boat, and we got stiffed and placed a lean which don't do any good until they go out of business or sell the building, so we're screwed.
Do you ladies get paid upfront? Half down? Or only upon finish? Guess you have a quilt if they don't pay to get it.
Have you ever had anyone cause a major fit about your work?
Ever have any legal problems?
Can you share your worst nightmare with a customer?
I know there are good and bad, lots of dedicated hours, and self discipline.
How many quilts do you produce a week or month or year?
Are there any other tips you could share with me?
I sincerely thank you all for all your support and help.