Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting handquilting last night! >

Starting handquilting last night!

Starting handquilting last night!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 AM

My very first shot at it. I "loaded" a quilt sandwich in a hoop loosely and practiced four rows of stitches. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Somehow my best rows were the first and last (though certainly none were "good")! I was bracing myself for a sore finger on my left hand--but it wasn't bad at all! I was even able to "rock"! Stab-stitching did not look as well--I could not find the right place to come back through on from the bottom of the piece.

No plan for a project yet--just gonna work on getting the feel for it. Trying to decide which finger I like the thimble on. It feels awkward with it on my middle finger, but did work. I guess I'll get used to it!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM

So glad to hear that you took the plunge! I find hand quilting very relaxing. And after a while, you'll get a callus on that finger you use on the left hand.... :lol:
Old 08-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I hand quilt with my index finger and my thumb. No reason to stick with the middle finger if you don't feel comfortable doing it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM

sewjoyce--I think I'm going to find it relaxing, too! Like knitting, which I love.

feline fanatic--I tried a few different ways. I'll just work out what feels natural with time, I guess!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Once you get the hang of it, you will not want to quilt any other way. i do mine in strips and pin baste it really well first. Then without a hoop, I can get small stitches much easier than with a hoop. I never got used to a thimble but it would save my fingers. I just let it hit my fingers. It gets callused but keeps it from hurting anymore. :) Its worth it to me. Its so rewarding to see your finished quilt that you put so much love into. Plus you can take it anywhere and not have to haul a machine around. Here is a strip I quilted. Then I will do another strip and attach it. So on and so on.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91658.jpe  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Rhueluna, I commented on one of your quilts a while back--I think the one you are next to in your avatar. That is amazing!! I think that quilt is what did it for me--I had to try it hand quilting. I love, love the effect.

I basted my practice piece, so I may try popping it out of the hoop for my next session!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Rhueluna, I commented on one of your quilts a while back--I think the one you are next to in your avatar. That is amazing!! I think that quilt is what did it for me--I had to try it hand quilting. I love, love the effect.

I basted my practice piece, so I may try popping it out of the hoop for my next session!
Wow, I had no idea I made such an impression. I am happy to be the one that got you going. Don't give up on it, as it will grow on you and you won't want to do anything else. :)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

New challenge. Go for it.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM

I love to hand quilt to. Its good to see a lot of other people also enjoy it. I can't wait to see your quilt.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Once you get the hang of it, there's this project call Tiger Tape and you stick it on a sandwich and practice your spacing with it. That's how I started to get my stitches more even.

Good Luck and have FUN!!!!!