Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting the process.... >

Starting the process....

Starting the process....

Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 AM

Question Starting the process....

of looking into buying a new sewing machine. I currently have a Janome 525s and have only used it for piecing and regular sewing so far. I'm currently working on my first "real" quilt and am anxious about doing the actual quilting on my machine. I think I'm going to attempt to quilt it on my current machine (it's going to be about 42" x 42" when complete), but I'm worried that the bigger quilts I have planned are going to be difficult using a machine with such a small throat. Hence, I've started the search for a new machine.

Over the weekend, Hubby and I stopped at the Viking store inside of JoAnns and I looked at an Opal 670 which I quickly fell in love with, but quickly started drooling over the 670Q model. Totally out of my price range Same goes for the Janome MC6300P. Has all the features I'd like, just a little bit more than I wanted to spend right now.

Hubby started searching Craig's List to see what we might be able to find, and we came across a 2-year old Singer Quantum 9960 for $300. It comes with a TON of accessories, an extension table, and even a FMQ foot! I was going to jump on it until I realized that I could buy one brand new with the same amount of accessories along with a warranty for $329 on Amazon. She wasn't willing to budge on the price, so I had to pass, but I'm still considering the model.

I also started checking out the model right above that one, the Singer Quantum 9970. Little bit more expensive, but comes with the same amount of accessories and stuff.

Am I wasting my time looking at Singers? I heard they're not as good as they used to be. I really am thinking I'm going to need something a bit bigger to do the quilts I want to do, and maybe I should just hold off until I can afford one of the higher end machines (which who knows when that will be).
Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 AM

I do believe looking at Singer machines is not a good idea. I agree with your statement about saving up to buy that one special machine. That's what I did and it was so worth it.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 AM

I have just purchased my dream machine.
Before that I had been using a cheap singer - the singer talent. I have quilted 3 large quilts on the singer talent with very few problems. I believe the largest I did was around 80 inches each way, so I don't think that a smaller machine should be too much of a problem!
My first (ever) quilt I used a walking foot and just stitched in the ditch. I used the "roll it up" method for this quilt and wouldn't recommend that method! It's very cumbersome and you spend all your time balancing it on various body parts!
My second and third machine quilted quilts (after the first one I hand quilted a few because I got scared off!) I did free motion quilting and absolutely loved it! It's a scary thing to just make yourself do it, but it's so worth it! The first one I just did a large stipple,and to be honest it's not the prettiest of quilting, but it got me over my fears! The second one was my tardis quilt and I successfully did a wood grain effect quilting and stippling on the background. This one looked much better, and it amazed me that I could do it on such a cheapy machine!
I used the "smoosh it" method on the fmq and it worked great, no problems with my little throat space!
I would say have a go with your current machine(even if it's just a big practice sandwich rather than your lovely quilt top!), as it will also help you in figuring out exactly what features you are looking for in your dream machine!
Good luck with whatever you choose :-)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM

I've seen stuff on Craigs List that is the same as buying new too. What are they thinking??

Originally Posted by knitwitrosie View Post
of looking into buying a new sewing machine. I currently have a Janome 525s and have only used it for piecing and regular sewing so far. I'm currently working on my first "real" quilt and am anxious about doing the actual quilting on my machine. I think I'm going to attempt to quilt it on my current machine (it's going to be about 42" x 42" when complete), but I'm worried that the bigger quilts I have planned are going to be difficult using a machine with such a small throat. Hence, I've started the search for a new machine.

Over the weekend, Hubby and I stopped at the Viking store inside of JoAnns and I looked at an Opal 670 which I quickly fell in love with, but quickly started drooling over the 670Q model. Totally out of my price range Same goes for the Janome MC6300P. Has all the features I'd like, just a little bit more than I wanted to spend right now.

Hubby started searching Craig's List to see what we might be able to find, and we came across a 2-year old Singer Quantum 9960 for $300. It comes with a TON of accessories, an extension table, and even a FMQ foot! I was going to jump on it until I realized that I could buy one brand new with the same amount of accessories along with a warranty for $329 on Amazon. She wasn't willing to budge on the price, so I had to pass, but I'm still considering the model.

I also started checking out the model right above that one, the Singer Quantum 9970. Little bit more expensive, but comes with the same amount of accessories and stuff.

Am I wasting my time looking at Singers? I heard they're not as good as they used to be. I really am thinking I'm going to need something a bit bigger to do the quilts I want to do, and maybe I should just hold off until I can afford one of the higher end machines (which who knows when that will be).
Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 AM

Take your time and test drive machines. Not sure if that dealer does it but many have used machines that are a good buy. But you should try doing some quilting on your machine first so you have some ideas of what you need. I have seen lovely quilts done on small machines so it is a matter of will and practice.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM

I have never used a Singer but I noticed they sell the Singer Quantum 9960 for $329. at Costco and the reviews are really good. Seems like a lot of people are happy with this machine.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

If you can afford to get a bigger throat, then go for it but you really don't need it. I quilted dozens of queen size quilt with a 7" throat on my Bernina 1530. I have also fortunate to have won many awards with my quilting. The important key is to have adequate support when attempt to do larger quilt. Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:45 PM

I just measured my machine and it's about 6.5" x 4.5", so the Singers wouldn't be any bigger than what I have. They're now off the table . I would love to have the additional stitches, but not in a machine that is the same size as mine.

Really hoping I can manage to do a couple of lap quilts on my current machine while I save up some $$
Old 06-02-2014, 03:01 PM

I LOVE my Juki 98Q but they no longer make them. It made a world of difference for me. I had a Pfaff tiptronic 1171 and and Viking #1 and every time I quilted a quilt I was swearing never to try it again. And I really only did maybe 3 or 4 on them. With my 98Q I honestly look forward to the quilting.

Juki makes the 2010 now.. I did see where one person had had a lot of trouble with it. But have seen a lots more that love it.

I love my 98Q so much that I bought the Juki Exceed f600 a couple or three months ago. I love it so far, but I was gone for a month of this time, have had my granddaughter for about 8 days of that time, and been sick ...so it has not got used hard and heavy but it has been used. Anyway, it seems to be a well made machine, too.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Viking has great deals on their machines all the time and their no finance charge credit is wonderful. I just got my Sapphire 960Q on 4 years same as cash, payments right at $56 a month. I got lots of accessories thrown into the deal so I'm thrilled with it. It has a large throat space and the new walking foot has 4 interchangeable feet. Take another look at their machines and see what you can do. Wait until the next deal comes out while saving up to put something down on it or just buy accessories. Don't be afraid to ask for everything. They will deal with you.