Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting search for a Longarm Quilting Machine >

Starting search for a Longarm Quilting Machine

Starting search for a Longarm Quilting Machine

Old 05-11-2014, 04:59 AM

Years ago test drove them all and ended up biting the bullet and getting the Statler Stitcher. Please consider looking at used machines. Many dealers take machines in on trade, I see them occasionally on eBay and Craigslist and on other sewing sites. There are some exceptional deals out there. Bets of luck.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 AM

I totally agree. I love my Avante. I tried them all at a quilt show and found it was the best for me. I am petite and do not have a long length to my arms. This was perfect for me. Easy to use.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 AM

I bought a Viking Megaquilter 18x8 from www.Sewingmachinesplus.com - they even let me put it on "lay-away"!! This is the same machine as a Tin Lizzie or a Pfaff 18x8. I LOVE this machine!! It has a stitch regulator, and that's pretty much all I need. I could have gotten a robotic system with it, but wanted to learn the machine first without haven't to add the robot as another learning curve. It's been three years now, and I still don't have a robot - I don't feel the need for one, simply because I enjoy the creativity from "doing it myself".
There are SO many brands out there, I suggest that you go to one of the larger shows and "test drive" as many as possible. I "tested" even the higher-end brands and did not like the "feel" of them. So, I wouldn't go just by our comments here - you are the only one who knows what is comfortable for you. Testing them all "side by side" as it were at one of the big shows will be a good comparison for you. Before I bought mine, I spent most of one whole day at a AQS show trying 15 different brands - multiple times - to decide what I liked and what I didn't.
Just my thoughts... but I do love my machine.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 AM

I'm a hobby quilter and have no desire to make money off quilting, the most basic longarm set up is baileys. I quilted on one for a year til my friend moved. Does the job for me!
Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 AM

How about the Bailey(http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/)? Very affordable, compared to other brands, they have a great reputation and customer service.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Join different Yahoo groups that are for the different longarm machines you are considering. Remember that these yahoo groups tend to have mostly those with issues posting to them. I am on several longarm groups, including TinLizzie18, Gammill etc. I think I left the Innova group...but still am on APQS, and a couple machine quilting groups. Why, when I own a TL18LS 2009 model, do I still belong to the others? Because they all have posts dealing with tension, stitch issues...and what is tried and found to work on one machine, can work on another brand.

I started the TinLizzieLongarm yahoo group when TL company closed their yahoo group. I show as the owner, but every member owns our group...I just happened to start it. We have about 1,000 members, but, only about 1 to 2% ever post. Why? Because the other 99% aren't having issues. Those who reply to the "help needed" posts are those of us who have had the same issues (usually tension, or other user error type issues), or are dealers & can help troubleshoot & resolve some issues...very few are ever issues the company has to get involved with. Usually a dealer or their tech can resolve the issues.
TL company has really stepped up their customer service...they have finally realized they have to stand behind their products, especially if the dealer/techs aren't able to help. Innova is good, so are most Gammill dealer/techs....just a matter of what you can afford. I've seen some Nolting lovers out there also.
The main issue I've had with my TL18LS was when I had loaded the bobbin wrong (wasn't in all the way)...it stitched a row of Qbot auto stitching...the top thread wound around the bobbin hook area for that whole row...threw Lizzie out of time. I already knew how to time a machine...so retimed her myself...but had my tech check it... and broke encoders twice...my errors.
Another thing to remember...these machines are NOT home sewing machines on a frame (not true longarms anyhows)..you will have a learning curve (again, join a group for the machine you end up with), be ready to learn how to do some troubleshooting on your own, and for techs over the phone. A dealer within driving distance is nice (if they know how to fix the machine)...but good company support is key.

Find a way to try the different machines if you can...I went with the closest dealer (no longer in existence)...I was going to go with another brand, but a local (70 mile round trip) dealer had the TL18LS on sale...so I bought from her.

HandiQuilter is another good brand. Most true longarms are good brands...just depends on what you want in the way of bells and whistles.
I paid about 6K for my TL18LS in 2009 & then a couple years later 1,500 to add the Qbot robot. I call my setup my "poorman's statler"... and I love it!

Originally Posted by loreen View Post
I would like to have a longarm by the end of this year. I do not have a lot to spend. However I think I can do it with what I do have. I a even looking at used machines. I know to test drive as many as I can. Any of you ladies or men who have one have ay insiders knowledge about hat to look for? Thank you for any & all help.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 AM

I also bought this machine and from sewingmachine plus ,also love it .
Old 05-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I would go to the nearest biggest quilt show and test drive them all just like you would do when purchasing a car.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by loreen View Post
I would like to have a longarm by the end of this year. I do not have a lot to spend. However I think I can do it with what I do have. I a even looking at used machines. I know to test drive as many as I can. Any of you ladies or men who have one have ay insiders knowledge about hat to look for? Thank you for any & all help.
too bad you aren't in the Midwest--I know of a 3 yr old KenQuilt and a Prodigy(little older) both on 12'frames, both24" throats and the Prodigy with hydraulic adjustable table for sale. The KenQuilt is being sold so the owner can buy a bigger machine(!) and the Prodiy due to health reason. PM if you want contact info.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 AM

stay away from sewingmachineplus, bad service bad deals ,they sold me a very old quilting machine used, sale person lie t me and told me it was only 2 years old ,seller and that seller was trading it in for a newer update quilting machine, I found out later from handi quilter ha the machine the sold me was about 5 or 6 year sold ant the machine as only worth $2,500.00, where sell person sold it to me for 5,000.00, they wll not give me back my money and take back there machine ,sellperson got crazy on phone with me telling me I got a good deal . I called handi quilter and they also agreed that I should get my full money back. shame on those people working there so be very careful buying from them