Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting Search for New Machine! >

Starting Search for New Machine!

Starting Search for New Machine!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:05 AM

Default Starting Search for New Machine!

Since getting back into quilting last spring, I have discovered some of the limitations of my current machines. I started using my old New Home/Janome MX3123 which sews well even though it is not a computerized machine. Then I decided to try sewing on my "baby" Brother 270D- I had only ever used the embroidery unit- and love the way it stitches! However, I am now starting to do some of my quilting by machine and it is just too small to do anything much bigger than a table runner plus it has an awkward thread cassette that is really starting to annoy me!

I realize everyone is different and there are lots of opinions about machines, but what features should I be looking for since I am new to machine quilting and want to learn to do some FMQ? Besides the throat space and needle up/down are there other features that make machine quilting with walking foot and FMQ easier? I know I would like a good stitch selection, including a blanket stitch and maybe some heirloom type stitches for applique and other sewing. I have a Brother 770 for embroidery so I do not need a combo machine. Actually I have been very pleased with my Brother machines and serger so a Brother might be my first choice, but I am open to looking at other brands. I'd like to stay in the $3,000-4,000 range but could probably go up if the machine was right!
I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations!

Carol
Old 09-13-2016, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I'd suggest that you start looking around at local dealers. Make a list of your wants on a machine, and take some fabric with you too. Then you can sit and stitch on some of the machines.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I would be looking for a machine that you can get a ruler foot for. There are a lot of neat rulers now that you can use on regular sewing machine.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 AM

When I was looking, my budget was much smaller than yours. I got the Juki F600 for around $1100. Since I had never heard of Juki, I did some extensive online research and the reviews were great. At my local dealer, I tried several machines (which were out of my budget) but I found I preferred the Juki. The throat space is about 8.5 to 9 inches. I still love my machine but with your budget you may find one that has an even larger throat (but also look at how tall the throat area is too). I would definitely recommend needle up/down and the knee lift. I didn't think I would use the knee lift but now it's a "must have" on my list.

Happy hunting!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Have fun shopping!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:52 AM

Since you mentioned that you want some decorative stitches, I would rule out any of the larger sit down quilting machines, and also my personal favorite for FMQ, the PQ1500s and the similar Janome and Juki which are straight stitch only machine with 9" x 6" working space.

Since you are comfortable with Brother Machines, I would start there. In the price range you are talking about you could probably get a Brother Dreamweaver or the next machine down, the DreamCreator-- they both have lots of decorative stitches (which you'd mentioned) and lots of throat space.-- I think either 11 or 12" to the right of the needle. There are also Babylock versions of these machines (made by Brother). Brother also makes a "professional series" I think they're called NQ something and they are also in your range, but they only have 8" or 8.5" to the right of the needle, still you might want to check them out.

Also in your price range are the larger Janomes which a lot of quilters love: The 8200 Horizon and the 8900, along with the older one, the 7700 Horizon-- also have the features you've mentioned. And they have 12" to the right of the needle. There are also Elna versions of these machines (made by Janome).

I would also check out Bernina 7** series machines they used to be the top of the line Berninas until the new 820/830 etc. came out. The 7**s have 10" to the right of the needle and also decorative stitches. One thing that Bernina does that Brother doesn't do is make a machine where you have the option to add an embroidery unit at a later date if you decide you want to do that. I think the middle of the 7** series does that. I think these would also be in your price range.

I'm not familiar with all the Juki machines out there, so maybe someone else will mention ones that have the features and throat space you are looking for.

Have fun shopping!

Rob

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 AM

with your budget i would look at the new Janome 9400.....I just traded my 8900 in for it and am very happy with the 9400. if you get it during a show, it should leave you with some $$ left over.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

My important features in addition to the ones you have mentioned:
Good light.
Easy to thread.
Good stitch profile.
Motor-speed control.
Even bobbin wind.
Large extension table.
Memory feature to preset stitches.

I have the Baby Lock Crescendo and while the MSRP is above your budget, you can negotiate to be within your budget.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure where you are located but I would go to a couple dealers and check out a few brands. I love my Viking Topaz - it has the embroidery attachment which I love. It has a wide throat and also has a a wonderful bunch of built in stitches. I wasn't looking for a machine when I got it and love my Janome MC 6600.
Most dealers try to get you to buy a more expensive machine but when I went in and said I am not going to spend over a certain amount they were still very helpful. My Viking was a floor model and it came with a full warranty. So they will work with you because they want to sell machines. My Janome dealer thru in the Janome table with the purchase of the machine and it was still cheaper than I could buy on-line. Plus I got to test drive the machines before buying them.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM

I agree that the Dreamweaver, or Babylock Crescendo, or Aria would fit your needs and your pricepoint. I have the Crescendo and couldn't be happier with it.