Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stippling vs circles

So, as I said before, I am brand new to Free Motion Quilting. As I'm practicing, it seems like doing circles is much easier than stippling. But when I see other's quilts, 95% are stippled. Is there something I should know about stippling?:-) What do all of you prefer?

It is quilter choice. If like doing circles then that's what you shoud do. Thank you for the idea, by the way, as I have not tried circles before.

With stippling you just keep wiggling and moving around filling in space.

Joey

If the circles you are doing are small, it is called "pebbling", I believe.

There is no reason why you cannot do circles, if that is what you are more comfortable with. Stippling does take a little more practice to get an even flow.

Keep practicing!! You will be an expert before you know it!

I also like to do squiggles. They look like a capital L, reversing some of the loops.

k, great info! I guess I'll try to master "pebbling" before attempting stippling!

could anyone post a pic of the circles or pebbling? I would love to see it, I really want to become good at free motion. Made several attempts, but not ready to put it on my work at this point! Thanks

I would absolutely love to see some pictures as well. I have not yet tried this but really really want to! I am making my nephew a quilt for his baby (my siblings are much older than I! LOL) anyway I'd like to do this to his quilt and would love to see pictures....thanks!!!

I am making my nephew and his wife a baby quilt too, their first. Pebbling would be adorable I think.

In my opinion, I only use pebbeling when making a wallhanging, because it makes the quilt very stiff. I make my circles very small. I can not imagine covering myself with a quilt that was pebbled. But that is my opinion only. This picture is not mine, but I found it around. The pebbling is the tiny circles between the leaves. When I do it, my secret is to aim all the pebbles to be exactly the same size, and as a result I get a very smooth difference in sizes.

Maria

Pebbles
    Name:  Attachment-47080.jpe
Views: 55
Size:  54.7 KB

Banned
    i agree that pebbling is not meant for a utility quilt.

any type of micro quilting is only meant for art quilts/show quilts never for utility quilts - its just to stiff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast