Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Length Issue >

Stitch Length Issue

Stitch Length Issue

Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Stitch Length Issue

Hello, I am quilting using a Janome 9900 on a Gracie frame. I sew along and everything is fine then the stitch length goes all wonky. I have changed the needle and rewound the bobbin. It continues to happen. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
Old 10-16-2015, 10:35 AM

What do you mean by " all wonky" ? I'm afraid most of us will need a little more information. I have a Singer 301 on the original little gracie frame. If I don't keep making speed up with my carriage, my stitches get long. Tell us a bit more please.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 PM

if you have a stitch regulator, make sure all the wheels/tracks are clean and making good contact.

if one of the wheels stops turning because it's sticking on something, the sensor will think the carriage is not moving as fast as it actually is, so it will slow down the stitching speed and you'll get longer stitches.

I consider cleaning the tracks/rollers part of regular maintenance - done the first time I go to quilt each day.

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-16-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:05 PM

Default Stitch length

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
What do you mean by " all wonky" ? I'm afraid most of us will need a little more information. I have a Singer 301 on the original little gracie frame. If I don't keep making speed up with my carriage, my stitches get long. Tell us a bit more please.
I stitch along fine and the the stitches get very long and sometimes there are hoops underneath.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks I will try that.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:12 PM

Thank you so much. I did not know to do this. I'm guessing after 3 years I'd better do this. I'll make it a part of my regular cleaning routine. Any other tips greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
if you have a stitch regulator, make sure all the wheels/tracks are clean and making good contact.

if one of the wheels stops turning because it's sticking on something, the sensor will think the carriage is not moving as fast as it actually is, so it will slow down the stitching speed and you'll get longer stitches.

I consider cleaning the tracks/rollers part of regular maintenance - done the first time I go to quilt each day.