Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stitch regulators >

stitch regulators

stitch regulators

Old 04-17-2016, 07:36 PM

Default stitch regulators

Has anyone used the stitch regulators? the Fab-u Motions? Are they any good and is everything you need in the kit to start?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Lots of reviews here - http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/47730
Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I had a Fab-u-motion that I used with my Viking Designer SE. It worked OK with small items, but I found it difficult to use with a large quilt. I eventually sold it and just learned to be more consistent FMQing without it.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 AM

I had a FabuMotion and used it twice. Took too long to set up, quilting area was very small, then took long to take back down. I gave it away. Like PaperPrincess, keep practicing FMQ and you may find you don't need this (IMO worthless) gadget.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM

I haven't used the fabumotion, I however have used the brother/babylock trustitch and while some love I feel that you really still need to be decent and consistent at your speed and hand control otherwise the regulator will be jerkey with you. I have found that if you get the consistency of your and your stitches will look consistent and then the regulator will just collect dust one you gain control. I find that my stitches sometimes even look better than with the regulator. I think people think they are training wheel and I think it really prevents you from getting the true coordination you need because you are relying on the regulator for speed so you never get that hand speed control
Old 04-18-2016, 01:06 PM

I'm not a fan of stit ch regulators. I've never noticed that the ones for sit down Fmq ( Bernina bsr or true stitch on Viking sit down long arm™) make nicer stitches than what I get withou them. I also tried using a Brother dream creator on their new frame with its stitch regulator and didn't think it produced any nicer stitches than what I could do without it. It could be that they are nice for someone who is just starting out, but I wouldn't spend my money on them.

Rob
Old 04-18-2016, 03:02 PM

I have never heard of the stitch regulators? I did look it up and it seems very interesting.
But My machine is a vintage Kenmore 15813450, so I don't think I could use one on my machine
I seen the price on this little gadget $500.00. For me that is a years worth of fabric.
No way I could afford one of those. Sure wish I could, and I could use on on my machine.
Oh well I can dream

Last edited by Littledreamdevil; 04-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I had a Fab-u-motion that I used with my Viking Designer SE. It worked OK with small items, but I found it difficult to use with a large quilt. I eventually sold it and just learned to be more consistent FMQing without it.
My experience with the Fab-u-motion is the same but mine still sits in the closet. I have the stitch regulator for my sit down Tiara and find it jerky so rarely use it. I just keep practicing. Not great but better.
See if you can try one out before purchasing because they are not inexpensive.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Don't have one, I would like a speed control for my Babyloc Jane. Foot pedal is touchy.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 AM

I have the fab-u-motion in my cabinet. Maybe used it one time. It was expensive. I wonder if I could sell it on Craig's list. I just keep practicing FMQ. I don't know much about the regulators, I set my epic at the speed I want to go and try to keep steady with my motion. My advice is don't waste your money on the fab-u-motion!