Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machines with stitch regulators?

Hoping to purchase a new machine sometime in 2011 with my main objective being that it has a stitch regulator. I need the most bang for my buck, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can start researching?

Blog Entries
    I don't have any advise about the machines, but just HAD to comment on those beautiful big blue eyes in your Avatar. Beautiful child, of course you already know that, but still had to say it again.

I like my bernina 440. I bought it because I wanted the stitch regulator. I dont' have room for a LA so this was my choice to do fm quilting.

Thanks, yes I love to hear that! She's my grand-daughter Sophie and she's a hoot!

I have no idea what your message says....I couldn't keep my eyes off that precious face and beautiful blue eyes. She sure is a keeper, and I don't enby you in about 10-12 years. Hope you have a long stick!!!!

The only two companies that I know that have the stitch regular is Bernina and Viking.

My first Bernina, a 440QE had a BSR and that is what convinced me to buy her AND to attempt FMQ ing. I now have the 730 which also has the BSR and I use it whenever I FMQ. I also have a Juki on a frame and it has a Cruise control (stitch regulator). Some say it is like training wheels, so perhaps someday I will be good enough to FMQ without a stitch regulator, but for now, without one, I wouldn't do any FMQ ing.

Perhaps you could get a good deal on a gently used model Bernina at a dealers and then use it to trade up in time. They really hold their value. Also, if you are looking to get the machine in 2011, look for a quilt show in your area, you can get some great deals on almost new machines used for demo at the show. Good luck for whatever you decide.

I love my Bernina 440QE. It's the best by far.

Blog Entries
    My Janome has it + an up/down needle button and a button to use instead of the pedal. Really a neat feature.

Which Janome model has a stitch regulator?

Blog Entries
    none of them do, I think

I didn't think so.

I was at a craft show here a few months back..saw a Bernina with a stitch regulator and it looked nice. I asked about Janomes and was told none have a stitch regulator...I would have got one for my Horizon if they did

Blog Entries
    No stitch regulators for any except the Berninas to my knowledge. The Viking and Pfaff have the fabric-mover with stitch regulator but it is awkward to use - or at least that is what a friend who has the Viking Diamond and the fabric-mover said.

Now if you go with a quilting frame, there are several systems that have some sort of stitch regulator.

Good luck in your search. I love searching and exploring for a new machine!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Personally I wouldn't get hung up on the stitch regulator at the expense of other features. I'd take a balanced view of all possible machines based on the kind of sewing you like to do. I FMQ on my Janome 6600, no stitch regulator just a bit of practice. I also know ppl with LA systems who turn the stitch regulator OFF because they prefer the freedom of controlling stitch length themselves. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't buy a machine JUST because it had the stitch regulator - I'd consider ALL it's features. You CAN FMQ well without one. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Personally I wouldn't get hung up on the stitch regulator at the expense of other features. I'd take a balanced view of all possible machines based on the kind of sewing you like to do. I FMQ on my Janome 6600, no stitch regulator just a bit of practice. I also know ppl with LA systems who turn the stitch regulator OFF because they prefer the freedom of controlling stitch length themselves. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't buy a machine JUST because it had the stitch regulator - I'd consider ALL it's features. You CAN FMQ well without one. :-D
    You know, I have to say that while I would consider every feature a machine has, I would without hesitation exclude any that didn't have a feature that was important to me.

For example, I quickly excluded longarm machines without a SR when I was buying. No questions. For the most part, the only people who don't have a SR longarm now are the ones who learned to use a longarm before this feature was available. Most now have a SR, and switch between it and manual mode for different applications. (True longarms, not mid- or short-arms which frequently do come without a SR.)

So, just my thought. If I really wanted a SR, then that's what I'd buy. I'd simply not purchase anything without it. Otherwise, I'd never really be happy with my purchase - but that's just me :)

Debbie in Austin

I have the bernina and love love love it!!

Blog Entries
    Don't buy until tou check the Bernina with the BSR it is wonderful if you ever get into other thread work painting etc the BSR is the greatest no foot pedal to use goes only by hand motion so never need to worry about the speed of the machine I quilt all of my own quilts and could not do it without the BSR

If you're looking for a machine with stitch regulator, I would recommend a Bernina Aurora 440 QE.This machine has the stich regulator and it's wonderful to work with....just bought one a few month ago....okay,the price is something else,especially here in Switzerland,very expensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annieshane
    I don't have any advise about the machines, but just HAD to comment on those beautiful big blue eyes in your Avatar. Beautiful child, of course you already know that, but still had to say it again.
    Just had to add to this quote. My granddaughter also has the same color eyes and beautiful blond hair and can pass for your granddaughter's sister. Beautiful young lady!

I have a bernina 640 that I bought because of the stitch regulator but only used it once because I got a Handi Quilter HQ16. I am thinking of selling this machine since I have 3 other machines. A Pfaff and 2 Singers one is a 221 feather weight.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 440QE with a BSR. I used it a lot when I first got it, but now I often find it is smoother and easier to FMQ without it. i guess maybe it is like trining wheels, it gives you the confidence to get started.

I'm the same as most of the others. Those big, blue eyes are captivating.

I have a 440 QE and love it. Love the embroidery too

I love the BSR on the Bernina 440. I don't know of any features that I would like to have that the Bernina lacks. The people who turn off the stitch regulator are usually the ones who learned how to do really good free motion quilting before the SR came out. I'm not one of those!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast