Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stitching in the ditch >

stitching in the ditch

stitching in the ditch

Old 11-09-2014, 08:36 AM

I think if the trouble with puckering is on the back then the issue truly is the preparation of the back. Make sure the backing is taut before you lay on your batting and top no matter what basting method you use. This is a must for all quilting to come out nice whether you SITD, FMQ, or any other option. Preparation is usually half the battle for any part of the quilting process. I wish you better luck with the next one. Practice makes perfect right?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 AM

If you SID with FMQ, don't you end up with an awfully cluttered quilt back? I don't understand why it would be necessary, as a rule to SID all seams in a quilt. Presuming adequate stitching, adequately spaced in a quilt, I don't see how it could matter if that stitching is in the ditch or elsewhere. Does it apply to overall designs, too? I can't imagine that would look very good, especially on the back.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 AM

I stitch in the ditch around the motif I want to stand out. Like a star made of 1/2 square triangles. I don't stitch in the ditch on seams that are part of the 'background'. Then FMQ in the design elements of the block. This kind of quilting is gorgeous because it highlights the design elements of the quilt very specifically. It is also very time consuming. Here's a photo:

Block: quilting by kristijoy108, on Flickr

If I'm doing an overall design then I would just FMQ over everything and skip the 'ditch' part. Here's a photo of two blocks done like this (quilt-as-you-go):

Vice Versa BOM - May Block (City Lights) by kristijoy108, on Flickr
Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
I bought a class from craftsy and the instructor said it's a must to sitd (all) seams ..... would like to hear you opinions.
My opinion: Craftsy seems to have hired the quilt police to teach this class. It is never a "must" to SID any seams, let alone ALL seams, on a quilt, no matter what other type of quilting you do.

As far as your pleats are concerned, I agree with the others that it is most likely a basting problem.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:35 PM

I don't SITD all seams but I do SITD around the blocks, then I quilt the individual blocks. I haven't had an issue with puckers on the back.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM

I used to get puckers too. Here is what I learned: when I basted with pins, the first step was to secure the quilt back to the table with binder clips. I discovered I was actually pulling the fabric TOO tight and was stretching it in places so that then when I was stitching the stretched parts were larger and would pucker especially when I crossed stitching lines. The second problem I had was that I had way too much pressure on my walking foot and it was too tight on the fabric and caused uneven feeding and shifting of the fabric and consequently more puckers. So, I switched to spray basting and that REALLY helped so that I no longer stretch the fabric and the layers stay stuck together. At first it helped to iron the sandwich flat after spray basting but I no longer do that. I also adjusted the pressure so that the walking foot easily feeds the fabric evenly. No more puckers! Good luck, I know it is frustrating.
Oh I also don't SID all my seams--just a couple of vertical and horizontal ones to anchor the layers together then do whatever other quilting you want to do.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 11-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:49 AM

I agree with the others. It sounds like your quilt is not taut enough when basting. I use Sharon Schambler's method. While it does take time, I put on the music and have come to enjoy it. I think of how I am going to do SID before I baste. That way, I am able to baste all the vertical straight lines without clipping any basting threads and then I clip them when I do the horizontal lines. I find it works for me.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I mostly do FMQ. If I do SITD I sew about a 1/4" from the ditch. Looks neater to me than SITD.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 AM

I have the same class and I just finished a quilt and the same thing happened to me. I would be interested in her reply. Also I found that I really need to concentrate on doing a better job of piecing my quilt blocks and lining everything up.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:39 AM

Spray baste or glue (Elmer's washable school glue ONLY),your layers together so they can't shift. Also check to see if you can adjust the pressure on your pressure foot and if you can, adjust so you have less pressure.