Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on stitching in the ditch >

Advice on stitching in the ditch

Advice on stitching in the ditch

Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 PM

Hello everyone

I finally (!!) got around to starting on my much talked about table runner. I have assembled the blocks and now need to put it all together. A kind lady at my local quilting shop advised me to 'stitch in the the ditch' as it was my first project. However, when I got home I realised I had not thought about quilting thread. I have posted a pic below of the unfinished runner and am unsure about a colour for the quilting thread - do I assume that using this method means the stitching won't be seen so a neutral colour is best? Or I was wondering about a silver thread so it sparkles a bit. Would really appreciate some advice.

I have made a few errors in my assembly and cutting - a severe trimming job was needed yesterday to make sure all the blocks were even! That's why some of the points of the triangles seem to vanish.... :oops: Was so keen to get the picture - I have not even ironed it yet! :lol:

I have had a look around at some of the pictures on this site and the quilts are so beautiful!

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails attachment-52413.jpe  
Old 12-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

i'd go purple down the sides and blue along the diagonals of the triangles.

if your seams are a bit wonky, you might consider an echo inside each of the shapes instead. say ... about ... an 8th of an inch in. that way, you don't have to worry about whether or not the stitches show because, in an echo, they're supposed to. AND it's easy to just follow the shapes. :P
Old 12-09-2007, 01:37 PM
bj

You might could find a veregated thread that would look nice and not have to switch colors. About the silver for adding a little sparkle...the only thing I've heard (I've never used it) is that metallic threads are hard to work with and break easily. But I don't know that for a fact. I think your table runner is very pretty. I like those colors together.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:18 AM

Hi,
In response to using metalic thread, if use a metalic needle you should not have a problem. A regular needle will make the thread shread and break. I have had no trouble with the metalic needle. I also use the metalic needle for clear or monfiliment thread and this does not snap or stretch out.
Quilterpat
Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 AM

I Love your runner! When I make runners, I usually echo in either squares or triangles because it makes them pop! I stitch in the ditch around the outside border. Hope this helps!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 PM

Your stitching will (should) show, because in quiltmaking, "in the ditch" means "alongside the seam." You don't actually sew ON the seam. Echo quilting is done 1/4" away from the seam and was usually done in early quilts in order to avoid having to sew through the bulky seam allowances. If you are machine quilting, you can just sew right alongside the pieced seams.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Thank you all for your kind advice. I will continue this weekend - work gets in the way during the week (grrr). I will post a picture when it is completed - I was hoping to get it finished for Christmas.