Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stitching in the ditch >

stitching in the ditch

stitching in the ditch

Old 11-11-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
That doesn't always work for me unless that's all the quilting I am doing on the quilt, If I sitd and then do some fmq inside the block I always end up with the fabric pleating against the sitd seam I bought a class from craftsy and the instructor said it's a must to sitd (all) seams I posted the question to her still waiting for the answer, am I doing something wrong? do any of you have this problem? would like to hear you opinions.
I think I took the same class or at least a similar one. Quilting on a DSM.
I didn't pick up on the idea that it s a must to SITD all seams, but that it is an easier way to handle a large quilt. However, I too have a problem with that type of quilting and the puckering on the back. I can only do it if I use a walking foot and spray baste my quilt together. I have tried everything including taping the layers to the floor and then trying to pin baste or sew baste the quilt. No luck.
The other thing I've noticed is for me it really depends on the batting I use. If it is cotton with no loft it seems to work very well and no puckers. When I use a poly bat which I generally do on my charity quilts, it never fails to pucker.
Very frustrating!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 AM

I recently made a baby quilt and used some low loft batting I had on hand. I was amazed at how easy it was to quilt (a wavy line down each row and across) as opposed to the hi loft poly I had been using. Think I will convert to low loft from now on. It was sort of a night and day moment for me.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:10 PM

It seems to me the same principal applies as doing a whole quilt. Start in the middle and work to the outside. I am using this idea on a Double Wedding Ring Quilt right now. If there is any extra fabric, it will end up between the FMQ and the squares etc.