Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime >

Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Now that most everyone here on this forum is busy thinking about the upcoming holidays about to happen, I thought that I would share my own thoughts and experiences on this rather confusing topic-perhaps to help you decide what is in your best interests. I will list in a more easy and faster read format (i.e. Bulleted) form for your convenience below:

• I only sew for my own immediate needs (anything from both fancy & utility quilts, to apparel, to home dec.) as my time is very limited for sewing/quilting. I do sew gifts, but that is usually limited for people I know very well and is and most of all, open to handcrafted items as gifts. I have seen many of mine or other people’s home sewn gifts just casually flung to the side after a terse “thank you” and easily forgotten. I am not saying not to sew gifts-just do it more wisely.especially if you are short of money as many are right now. When I must give out more.at-home sewn inexpensive gifts during hard times, remember just to generally limit those fabric soft gifts to lap to single bed size fleece blankets (just straighten the ends, cut to measure, and cut off the selvedge, and you are done!) or smaller quick-to- sew products only. No possibility of hurt feelings or time wasting here as a more elaborate carefully designed and sewn quilt might intentionally cause!
  • Right now, I have finished a completely scrappy quilt featured on the Pictures sub-forum for my own use:
A Just Created 5 & 10 Minute Blocks Scrappy Quilt For The Ages” @ http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t236203.html My next one will be a more simplier project; a Bed Runner for a larger size bed featuring both the 1 Seam “Flying Geese” (5 Minute) Block and the 3 Seam “Diamond” (10 Minute) Block for a dear handmade loving friend. I don’t have it completed just yet but I am able to include the E-sketch only to give all of you an idea of what it will look like when completed below.
  • Everyone else I know or am required to give something will get a customary store bought gift-rather than a custom made one. If they don’t like it, they can take it back to the store themselves.

It works very well for me for many past holidays. Perhaps for others as well. And you are left frazzled, confused, and deeply hurt no longer. Your time and quilts are too valuable for that sort of poor behavior.
Attached Thumbnails bed-runner-sketch-cropped-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 12-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 PM

What you said makes very practical sense.
I'm one of the ones that appreciate hand or homemade anything over storebought however. I do appreciate the time and thought people put into the gifts they make themselves even if it's something as simple as a plate of cookies.
Rodney
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM

I appreciate homemade items, with that said......I always try and think of the gift I am giving that would go with that persons lifestyle. If they are into western, they get western fabric items, etc. If they don't like particular colors I won't put that into their gift.

IMHO, people need to think about the other person and give them according to the recipients taste, not the makers.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Wise words to be sure. When I do a quilt for others, I tend to do the rag quilts like my A Just Created 5 & 10 Minute Blocks Scrappy Quilt For The Ages” newly completed quilt mentioned above chosen style is. Except for the seam clipping (can be very tedious and hard on the hands), it is one of the most speediest quilts around to construct as well the most interesting to sleep under or just to look at. Many of us here sometimes become so involved with the quiltmaking design and process, that we lost sight of the recipients themselves. We must remember them most of all!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 PM

I made a bag for a niece that got tossed to the side needless to say she will never get a quilt
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM

I exchange gifts every year with a group of quilting friends..have gotten some wonderful handmade gifts and I treasure each and every one. Gifts don't have to be made, can be purchased, but is seems most of us at least make part of the gift. In a week we will be having our party....always my favorite party of the year.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 PM

I have cut down on gift giving but still send out quite a few friend gifts, most I've been sending for years. Ive made mug rugs, pot holders ect. This year some are getting bath rugs! Quick n easy! For those who crochet- you cant go wrong with pot scrubbies!!! I get requests for them as gifts! Cant get cheer or easier! I make them while hubbys driving or waiting at drs, mechanics ect!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 PM

My family knows they are most likely to get either a handmade gift (whether made by me or some other crafter) or a gift card or AAA membership. Or maybe all of the above. Just depends on what gets done when.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 AM

I don't view our home sewn items as inexpensive compared to store bought gifts. but i don't know what "budget" people on this board use as their reference.

I also don't give large sewn items away. While, yes, some people do not appreciate "homemade" ...i would not want to receive tickets to a sporting event from a sports-nut. Those tickets would be regifted. Is't it the same thing? You need to really know if the recipient "appreciates" our crafts.

For me, i prefer simple, inexpensive gifts. I always LOVED my stocking filled with small treasures from Santa. Just fun!

Last year, a good friend of mine received a handmade purse from another friend who made it for her. She admitted to me that she did not like it. (It was poorly made...i had to agree.). She knew that it was given from the heart. My friend then asked me to make her a purse. She loves the ones I make and post here and on my FB page. I asked her
What colors she wanted, etc. Black and white with lots of pockets including one on the outside for her keys. I gave it to her for Christmas and she loved it. She asked if I would make one for her daughter....and she PAID me for that one! Happy ending.

sandy
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I made a bag for a niece that got tossed to the side needless to say she will never get a quilt
That was rude behavior. Sad. She would be off my list for anything in the future.

The following info is not said to discredit the gift of a purse so lovingly given. I mean no offense. It is my personal feelings . with that said, purses are so "personal". I don't want someone to give me one either. We live in them and I know what my taste is in purses. While I make a lot of purses myself, and carry mine for a while....I prefer my LEATHER Coach (outlet) and Fossil brand over cloth....even over MY creations. Leather is more durable...I am rough on purses. I just toss them around. I like cloth purses in the summer. But don't make me one. Please...thank you.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 12-07-2013 at 04:22 AM.