Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime >

Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM

I just got a message from a former co-worker, saying how she thinks of me every time she decorates her tree,
with my homemade ornaments. I call them "ornamomentos". Feels good.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 PM

I enjoy making handmade gifts, but many in my family don't want them. So I only make for those who have let me know they look forward to receiving them. I also don't spend a lot of time or money on them. This year all the young adult girls are getting crocheted scarves, the dils are getting (by request) pot holders and aprons. I also like to give beauty shop appointments (for my mother), a tank of gas (for grandson), or cash (other grandkids), etc. Whatever fits that person. This year only one thing is store bought.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:36 PM

My family knows that when it comes to Christmas ... someone will most likely get a quilt. I don't try to make them for all. I just randomly pick the person who will be getting one any particular year. There was one year I did make more than one .. but that was very unusual. I don't like to sew when I am under pressure for time.. its take all the qualities that I enjoy out of it. I do gift quilts other times of the year , for no special reason other than I knew they would like it. When it comes to gift giving... I really have issues with those who have expectations.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 AM

I made cookie mixes and shipped them all over the country a couple of years ago and the postage was more than the cost of the mixes. Last year we sent money and let them buy what they wanted rather than give it to the post office. Our family gift list totals about 60 people and we are in our 80's, so I can no longer make something for everyone. We don't send steaks as we live in Nebraska where the good ones are plentiful. I still make quilts for all the new babies and send birthday money to everyone and so money seems to be a welcome gift. May make something for the ones who live near us because we don't have to ship.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:01 AM

This is such an interesting thread and so many heartfelt emotions show through. As quilters and sewers we want others to appreciate on some level the love and effort that goes into making a quilt (or other item that is handmade). We have all met with total appreciation and in some cases rejection. I have come to the place where I ask family members if they would like me to make a quilt and gather their input before I start. I like to give books as gifts. I really don't like to give open ended gift cards. I have given them and had grandchildren purchase video games and discard them after a short time. Is that any different than casting aside a handmade gift? In our culture with an overabundance of everything some people have lost the joy of giving or receiving or being willing to express gratitude in an acceptable way. Too bad for all concerned.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 AM

Personally, I would much rather have something handmade than purchased, I love the fact that someone took the time and had me in mind. When I give something I made I try to remember what I was taught as a kid, it's the thought that counts. Some people are just down right rude and never show appreciation, I have a step daughter who is that way and honestly, I don't care to give her anything because she sometimes says a terse thanks, but not always and the sad thing is her daughter is learning from her and is going to be the very same.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 AM

A gift made and given with love should never be returned or cast aside. No matter how ugly. But, I have found that practical, useful gifts are often what people like to get. One year I got a big bag of roasted peanuts, a big jar of Honey and a case of microwave popcorn!! My stocking was full of goodies!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 AM

I give small homemade gifts, and I take alot of time to decide what to make. This year, I did alot of pot holders, my family loves them, however my SIL mentioned they could be larger for the "man's hands" so I made him his own set. He is from Michigan, and loves the football team there, so I made them out of college team fabric. Same for my own son. My older grandson, I made some as well, but used mac & cheese fabric, he loves Mac & cheese.

My daughter crochet's and I made her a hook organizer. My DIL knits, so she is getting the knitting needle organizer.

Our older granddaughter is getting a handmade make up bag. She is in to make up now : ) and our youngest loves her American Girl doll, which I have made 2 outfits for, one especially for Christmas day .

I know they will all enjoy them : )
Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 AM

Most of what I'm giving this yr is homemade. all five of my kids and their better halves and their kids are into football (which I'm so not) but I started on vetern's day at Hancock's getting NFL fleece for the team each person likes the most. Which is hard since I'm not into sports I've had to call my kids step mom and have her help me find out. Her and I are very close; I know weird. Oh well. It'd be easier if they would all like the same team, but no. I also have small grandkids that are too young and they'll get something different in designs. I'm making them all quillows. The quillows have pockets so each one will have the person's name on it and an applique of a football on it. I have most of it already, only a couple more to go. I have to order one online because you can't buy WV fleece in VA, go figure. I think my family all combined supports just about every team in the NFL.

I've only given out two quilts, one to a great friend who said it was the best present ever. She has done quilts a few times and know they are alot of work and this one had lots of special techiques. I never see it out at her house but she's one of those people that don't have things out. The only thing on her kitchen counter is the coffee machine so it doesn't bother me that I don't see it.

The other one was a lap quilt for my ex's wife, who is also a great friend. I was going to give it to her for Christmast this yr but gave it to her in Oct when my oldest granddaughter (18yrs old) passed away suddenly and I wanted her to have some comfort because she was also her grandmother even tough not biologicaly. She started crying and said she'll treasure it forever and it's on the back of her sofa. I told her I wanted her to enjoy it but use it. That's what she does.

Home made gifts can be the best gift because they are from the heart

I know they'll be well used and appreciated. My daughter also ask me to make a quilt for her friends son because he's the only one of kids that doesn't have a special quilt made for them and he loves my grandson's.

I'm also embroidering hair clips for the little girls as well as making nametag ornaments, there are princess and prince ones and each will have thier name on them along with the yr and on the back I'll probably put Merry Christmas or something on it. Made with felt so very cheap to make.

If time allows I'll make some towels, with the toppers embroidered on them to hang on the oven doors, maybe some cup wraps, etc. I already have lots of fabric in my stash and by doing the sales I'm saving alot on the fleece. My daughter is the only one in my family who will on occasion make a quilt or do any sewing so they'll all love what I make. They think all of my stuff is perfect and who am I to disagree. I'd never show them all of my mistakes but that's the beauty of this, only I see the mistakes so they'll all think I did a great job.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas. I know I'll get some homemade gifts because my daughter instills in her kids what I did with mine, if you want your name on a gift for anyone, you have to help make it, buy it or worked toward paying for it. I've gotten my grandkids pictures in a frame made with sticks, last yr was lots of bath salts and lotions plus a painting made by my daughter and I love them all. I also love the fact that she appreciates the value of what I taught her about teaching your kids to only take credit for something if you've done something to earn it, rather its doing a good job or giving gifts.

At work, they all love my baking so you know what I'll be doing. I've had one co-worker making comments (even when I'm not around in hopes that I'll hear) about my spumuni cakes. Family tradition to start the family and loved by all. That and my biscotti.

Last edited by romanojg; 12-08-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:02 AM

My brother, SIL and nephew all are very thankful for anything handmade. It's nice with them, I know what they like and need, so I do enjoy filling that need.

In return, my little truck always has oil changed timely, good brakes, all the bits and parts that need service are done, and my dear brother send it home with a full tank always.

We do very practical gifts. It sounds boring, but these gifts are the warm, snuggly feelings.