Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime >
  • Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

• Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    That was rude behavior. Sad. She would be off my list for anything in the future.

The following info is not said to discredit the gift of a purse so lovingly given. I mean no offense. It is my personal feelings . with that said, purses are so "personal". I don't want someone to give me one either. We live in them and I know what my taste is in purses. While I make a lot of purses myself, and carry mine for a while....I prefer my LEATHER Coach (outlet) and Fossil brand over cloth....even over MY creations. Leather is more durable...I am rough on purses. I just toss them around. I like cloth purses in the summer. But don't make me one. Please...thank you.

Sandy
    I can so relate to that. Friends are always giving me handbags and big clunky wallets as gifts. I always wonder if it a "fashion recrimination" to me or if they really do.not.notice that I never change handbags and prefer the smallest, lightest wallet possible. I'm currently dragging around a hugemongous wallet that was gifted to me - it eats up half the space in my purse - I hate it!! I'm patiently waiting for a few more meet-ups with the friend who gave it to me so her feelings won't be hurt but puleeze ... I prefer to select these things for myself. But, yes, the niece's behavior was rude.
    Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 AM

I agree that you have to be aware of whether the recipient wants a handmade gift. Some folks and lots of kids don't, and that leads to our getting our noses bent out of shape. I read on this board so much " Oh, I worked so hard on that, how could they not treasure it?" I remember a cape or poncho of some sort an aunt crocheted for my sister and me many years ago and I HATED it! As an adult, I realize all the work she put into it, and I'm sure she thought it would be nice and warm for a kid. But it still didn't make me want to show up at school in a handmade poncho. I try to use that experience is weighing the handmade gifts that I give, especially to kids.
    Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM

As a child I'm quite certain I was like some of the others that didn't appreciate a handmade gift let alone take care

it. I think some of us just have to live and learn to move forward. Have, also, learned not to make things because

I like it but because it's THEIR choice of design and color.....works MUCH better and they like it and keep it.
    Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 AM

I finally learned to quit making homemade gifts for others unless they ask for something. I give cash and they are happier with that. And it is a lot easier for me. I only gift to my children and grandkids. Hubby and I gave up gifting to each other long ago.
    Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 AM
    T.

I absolutely agree with you. Hand-made items are not always appreciated by people who don't make anything themselves & have money to spend. It's better to be selective in your giving.
    Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM

I am having one of those years where $ is allocated elsewhere, so everyone is getting home sewn gifts. I understand not all home made things are appreciated, so a lot of thought went into my selection of what to sew. No one is getting a quilt this year. I found a free "dog bone" pillow pattern and they are the cutest things! They are also super easy to make, with just 3 seams. I also found a free pattern for bowl "hot pads" for the microwave. They are super useful and also quick and easy to make. It is nice to dig into my stash and find the perfect fabric that I think the person would like.

My family are also BEGGING for slippers. It has been 3 years since they got any, and they are long since gone. My granddaughter told me, "we've got cold feet"!! lol...home made makes a merry Christmas for everyone.

One last thought...why would something be more appreciated if it was sewn in China and purchased in Walmart? It is certain to be of inferior quality and workmanship!
    Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Well, I guess I have a different view. I sew items because I enjoy the process. It gives me a lot of pleasure in choosing the pattern, the materials, and then seeing it come together through my efforts. Nothing can take away the enjoyment of the hours I spend just creating. When I give some of my work as a gift that also gives me a good feeling - just being able to be a giver instead of a taker. I do not give in order to be appreciated, I give because it makes ME feel good and gives me happiness inside. One of the best times I have EVER had at Christmas was a year I took everything I had made and placed them in unmarked packages. As the family arrived (siblings and families) each person got a number. After our Christmas meal, I had all the numbers in a cup and one of my great-nephews got to be the chooser. The rule was, your number called, you got to pick a bag and open it. The next person who got called got to choose and open a bag. That person could choose to keep their item OR one of the items previously received by someone else! There were about 25 at the gathering and I had a blast watching the maneuverings to get the item they really wanted - especially with spouses and in family groups. The smiles, laughter and warmth from that occasion are with me still today - and no lack of appreciation of the gift can take that away. To me, that is what giving at Christmas is all about - the joy of giving - not what it gets me in return. I mean no offense to anyone as I know that is not the standard of society, but it's just the way it works for me. Merry Christmas to All!
    Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    That was rude behavior. Sad. She would be off my list for anything in the future.

The following info is not said to discredit the gift of a purse so lovingly given. I mean no offense. It is my personal feelings . with that said, purses are so "personal". I don't want someone to give me one either. We live in them and I know what my taste is in purses. While I make a lot of purses myself, and carry mine for a while....I prefer my LEATHER Coach (outlet) and Fossil brand over cloth....even over MY creations. Leather is more durable...I am rough on purses. I just toss them around. I like cloth purses in the summer. But don't make me one. Please...thank you.

Sandy
    This may have been my problem. A couple of years ago I made small purses for my step daughter and two DILs, I had studied the bags they carried and selected a pattern similar to those. I had carefully selected fabrics attuned to them -- the stylish one, enviro-girl, etc. They politely thanked me when they opened them, but I'm sure they never saw the light of day. Perhaps whoever subsequently purchased them at a consignment or thrift store will appreciate them.

This really just a symptom. I commented once on never receiving a thank you note from any of them and DH said, "Well, that's one of your hangups." I came from a family where we weren't allowed to play with our Christmas toys until the thank you notes had been written. It takes everything I have not to say his daughter and our DILs must have been raised by wolves. I guess what we always took to be common courtesy is out of fashion and was never in fashion in some families.

Sorry to vent all over you kind readers, but this comment really hit home.
    Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
    Power Poster

I agree with many comments here. But, I think it is prudent to ask someone ahead to see if they want a quilt. With the time money and work involved, why not be sure they would value and appreciate it?

For many years my older sister made it clear she didn't want one. Now after seeing others I have made and gifted, she put in a request telling color choices and size requirements. LOL! You just never know, do you? On another note, I know of a beautiful hand embroidered horse quilt top my mother made for her years before she passed that is sitting somewhere in the dark at her home. I wish she would let me quilt it so she can pass it to her daughter. I know she would love it.
    Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 PM
    Power Poster

I think a person that sews has much more appreciation for hand made things. My ex-mother-in-law wanted hand made embroidered pillow cases which I made her only to find them being used as grease rags less than a year later. I never made her anything hand made again.